Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: First build ATL-1QW

First build ATL-1QW

So I may be a bit premature in starting my build diary while my order is still winging it's way to the UK, but my excitement about getting started is growing.

I don't have much to share at this stage but I have been experimenting with stains and finishes on scrap wood. The current plan is for the top to be blue with the back and neck the amber. I reserve the right to change my mind though!

I came across the picture of the PJD Carey Elite in a back issue of Guitarist magazine and it helpfully confirmed my intentions.

More to follow I'm sure.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

2. Liked by: Joe Garfield

Cool, What stain is that, it is not easy to get blue to NOT turn out green on blond timber.
    Cliff

I am also curious about what you will use over the stain to avoid it turning green.

So my scrappy piece of pine cladding is stained with Royal Blue and Amber stain and then finished with 4 coats of finishing oil, all from crimson guitars. I've seen some others on this forum mention Crimson before so perhaps they will be better able to vouch for their finishes. So far though no hint of green in the blue - but time will tell...

I'm still waiting for the kit to arrive (apparently it's hanging out in Coventry at the moment) so this weekend was "coping saw practice" weekend.

I thought I'd try out cutting out both a strat and a tele headstock to see how I got on, and then tried designing my own, which is really just a mash up of them both.

Feedback from you lot cautiously welcomed...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I like the third one best. Tele headstocks always look too narrow to me.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

8. Liked by: mrguiro

I'm generally a traditionalist when it comes to headstocks, but I do like your hybrid one. I may do something similar one day now that I've seen yours.

If we're voting, I vote for the mash-up.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

10. Liked by: mrguiro

So the kit has arrived and everything looks to be included. Just a couple of initial questions:

1) There is a crack/split on the back where two pieces of wood are joined. I'm assuming that the solution is some wood glue mixed with sawdust pushed into the gap?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200507_095951.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	315.6 KB 
ID:	34914

2) After a quick measure it looks like a) none of the pre-drilled holes for the bridge are going to be usable, and b) once the bridge is in the correct location, the pickup cavity will be in the wrong place. I can see from other posts that this is fairly normal, but a little reassurance goes a long way!

3) Any tips for removing the original nut (or a link to another post)?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200506_193921.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	34915

Thanks!

I had a similar crack in the same location, but smaller. I filled with CA glue. But given that your split is larger I will defer to more experienced hands around here (see my disclaimer).

For removing the nut, I followed this guide:
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Thanks for the guide, just what I needed :-)
    Last edited by mrguiro; 07-05-2020 at 10:19 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast