Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: First build ATL-1QW

Neck stained amber. I'm pretty pleased with the colour, it's hard to tell from the picture but it's turned out almost a roasted maple look.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Back of the body stained now too. The grain has shown up a lot more than I expected but I "think" I like it. I'm telling myself it's "vintage amber" rather than orange!

Doesn't look orange to me. I think the grain looks great!
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

4. Liked by: mrguiro

Actually sanded back a bit it does look less orange. I've now put the first 2 applications of blue strain on the front. The grain is looking lovely but there are some spots where the stain isn't taking. Thankfully most of these will be covered by bridge or scratch plate. Is it too late to do anything about these?

Well, you could always try Goof-Off on those areas and then re-stain those bits. Rubbing with a small soft brass-bristled brush helps to work it in. I really wouldn't worry about the bits that will be hidden and concentrate on any that show.

I have used coloured Sharpie pens to touch up the odd stain flaw, but it does depend on the finish used over the top, as some will cause the ink to separate. So best tried on some scrap wood first.

Thanks Simon, what's the goof off equivalent in the UK? There seem to be a few products available but it's not clear to me what would do the job. I tried with IPA and meths (on the spots that will be hidden) without any noticeable improvement. I fear I'm in danger of making things worse.

Sharpie is definitely a possibility, I've used them before to hide the odd scratch in furniture and even to cover bleach strains on a jumper :-)

Thanks Simon, what's the goof off equivalent in the UK? There seem to be a few products available but it's not clear to me what would do the job.
    Goof-Off is essentially 100% Acetone (used to be xylene). A quick search yielded a product called EVO-STICK Adhesive Cleaner, but I did not find what any details of what's in it.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Mentor
    Goof Off actually still contains Xylene but the large percentage of the mixture is Acetone as McCreed said.

EVO-STICK Adhesive Cleaner is only up to 30% acetone, having said that the other components are hydrocarbon solvents as well so it may work ok. Without knowing the specifics of the glue and the dye your using I can't provide more detailed advice.

What other products have you looked at?

As a side note, as with any chemical make sure you are using gloves.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

10. Liked by: mrguiro

So you could try straight acetone. It's basically nail varnish remover, but nail varnish remover often contains oils that you don't want. so look for pure acetone. I have a bottle for cleaning purposes (good at removing CA glue) that I bought from Amazon.

Just avoid getting it on the binding as it will start to dissolve it (you actually use acetone to stick bits of binding together or to dissolve some to make a filler for gaps in binding.

Or you could try the Evo Stick remover. I might get some and do a comparison with straight acetone.

Thanks all, I'll get hold of some acetone and see if that does any good

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast