Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: First build ATL-1QW

Why is real life never like the YouTube guides? Nut removal proved to be a pain with the thing crumbling to pieces before the glue gave way. On top of this, the bone nut is thinner than the slot so there is a lot of play. I'm assuming a shim behind it will sort that out.

The bridge is on but that also wasn't without drama. The first screw snapped with 5mm still showing. Thankfully I was able to get the chuck of my drill tightened onto it and unscrew it. I opened all the screw holes up a little and this time put a touch of soap on the screws to help them along.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Arrgh, sounds like cursing time.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

3. Liked by: mrguiro

Good on you Mrguiro, this is what builds can be like. I don't think any of mine ever went to plan and I lost my stuff on a number of occasions, but I never learn't anything from parts of builds that went perfectly well and there's always a work around.

If your veneer lifts, you can re-glue with by getting a syringe and inserting more glue and clamping. watch the ooze out on the veneer as you can't sand it out. remove excess glue at the time.

I am surprised that the bone nut is smaller in width than a tele neck! not sure if it would have fitted anything.

Be careful any of the kit screws are made of Chinese pot metal and are pretty weak. I always insert mine with a generous helping of wax.

Good luck mate.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

5. Liked by: mrguiro

The bone nut I got is also smaller than the tele neck, so maybe one of the factories is making them a bit bigger right now.
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Well I'm putting the nut problem to one side for now and concentrating on headstock and frets today.

If you want to roll up the sleeves and have a break from endless sanding.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3299...archweb201603_

I now have more bone nuts at hand than guitars.

cheers, Mark.

OK I'm really pleased with the headstock, a bit more tidying up to do but I like the shape.

And blue masking tape, how have I lived for so long without you?

I love the headstock. It's a bit meatier than most teles, which I think is great. A lot of tele headstocks look too thin to me. Which is why I am putting a strat headstock on my tele. At least I am not alone in this choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    I love the headstock. It's a bit meatier than most teles, which I think is great. A lot of tele headstocks look too thin to me. Which is why I am putting a strat headstock on my tele. At least I am not alone in this choice.
    Oh yes very nice, and of course Clapton had a stat neck on his tele. I nearly went with the full strat profile but wanted to put my own stamp on it :-)

12. Liked by: jugglindan

I didn't know that about Clapton's tele, thanks.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast