Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: NON PBG Guitar wiring help

NON PBG Guitar wiring help

Hi all,

I'm fixing this guitar up for a friend and I though it would be easier to recplace all the parts apart from the pickups.
    I hope I'm posting this in the correct area because this guitar isn't from Pitbull Guitars however I recently bought some parts from PBG and I'm having a bit of trouble doing the wiring.

The guitar configuration is as follows:
    1 x bridge humbucker, 1 x neck humbucker
    1 x volume
    1 x tone
    3 way switch.

Adam said this diagram should be suitable for wiring: https://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-co..._tele_2014.pdf

However I am unsure how to wire the 3 way switch because it has 8 contact points on the one I bought and the above diagram has 7 on it.

I would appreciate some help on this thank you.

Regards,

Alkay.

You could try this wiring diagram from DiMarzio for a 2 HB, 1 vol, 1 tone, 3-way blade switch guitar. It's from their excellent wiring diagram collection.

There are also wiring diagrams at Guitar Electronics but I find them harder to read.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    You could try this wiring diagram from DiMarzio for a 2 HB, 1 vol, 1 tone, 3-way blade switch guitar. It's from their excellent wiring diagram collection.

There are also wiring diagrams at Guitar Electronics but I find them harder to read.

Good luck!
    Thanks mate I'm not the best with doing the wiring. I did have a look but I'm not understanding that configuration where the hot and ground go from the pickups however the PBG diagram is good to follow.

Also, Here is a picture of the switch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	switch3.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	34633

Regards,
    Alkay

That is a standard 3 way switch that matches the DiMarzio diagram. The "hot wire (white)" on the Pitbull diagram is the same as the red wires in the DiMarzio diagram. The bare wires from both pickups should be soldered to ground on the case of one of the pots.

Try using the Pitbull diagram for all the wiring except for the switch. For the switch, use the DiMarzio diagram I linked. It has two wires coming in from the pickups (this is the hot wire, white on Pitbull kit humbuckers), and one wire coming out (marked "v" on the DiMarzio diagram, the blue wire in the Pitbull diagram). This is the wire that goes into the volume/tone circuit.

Another confusing point is that the Pitbull diagram has the blue wire going to tone first and then volume. The DiMarzio diagram has volume first. This order doesn't matter.

If that is still confusing I can try to make a composite wiring diagram, showing the 8-terminal switch wiring in the Pitbull diagram.

Also, what pickups are you using? Can you put a photo here showing the wires? It will help to know if they have 2 or 4 wires, and what colour they are.

That is a standard 3 way switch that matches the DiMarzio diagram. The "hot wire (white)" on the Pitbull diagram is the same as the red wires in the DiMarzio diagram. The bare wires from both pickups should be soldered to ground on the case of one of the pots.

Try using the Pitbull diagram for all the wiring except for the switch. For the switch, use the DiMarzio diagram I linked. It has two wires coming in from the pickups (this is the hot wire, white on Pitbull kit humbuckers), and one wire coming out (marked "v" on the DiMarzio diagram, the blue wire in the Pitbull diagram). This is the wire that goes into the volume/tone circuit.

Another confusing point is that the Pitbull diagram has the blue wire going to tone first and then volume. The DiMarzio diagram has volume first. This order doesn't matter.

If that is still confusing I can try to make a composite wiring diagram, showing the 8-terminal switch wiring in the Pitbull diagram.

Also, what pickups are you using? Can you put a photo here showing the wires? It will help to know if they have 2 or 4 wires, and what colour they are.
    Hi jugglindan, thanks for the reply. Sounds like it makes a little bit more sense but yeah if you can do a quick modified version of the PBG diagram with the Dmarzio one you gave me the link to that would be great. I don't want to get it wrong and then have to remove the solder and try and do it all again.

Here is the humbuckers from the front. I cant really show a picture of the wiring cavity yet because it is all still connected and looks a bit like a birds nest.

Neck pickup - one bare wire, one white coated wire

Bridge pickup - one bare wire, one white coated wire

Name:	humbuckers.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	34636

Ok not the best photo but see if you can see this mess

Name:	pups.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	34637

Quote Originally Posted by Alkay View Post
    Ok not the best photo but see if you can see this mess

Name:	pups.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	34637
    OK, so you have just two output wires, that simplifies things a bit. Your white wire is the hot output wire from the pickup, and the bare wires will go to ground.

Is that photo of the wiring that you are replacing? Are you replacing everything? If so, then you don't really need to worry about what's currently there.

I will make the wiring diagram later today.

DC

OK, so you have just two output wires, that simplifies things a bit. Your white wire is the hot output wire from the pickup, and the bare wires will go to ground.

Is that photo of the wiring that you are replacing? Are you replacing everything? If so, then you don't really need to worry about what's currently there.

I will make the wiring diagram later today.

DC
    Ok cool thanks, a diagram would help if it's not too much trouble and I'm happy to wait thank you.
    Yes thats the existing wiring I am replacing. I decided it's probably best to replace everything with the parts I got from PBG and I wasn't sure how to use a multimeter to troubleshoot what was faulty.

Cheers,
    Alkay.

I hope this helps. Please excuse the very rough edits, I didn't spend time making it pretty but hopefully it shows how the Pitbull wiring diagram connects to the 8-lug 3-way blade switch that you have.

Name:	wiring_hack.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	228.5 KB 
ID:	34639

And my apologies to the Pitbull copyright holders for thus modifying their image. It's purely to help a forum member wire up parts they bought from Pitbull.

11. Liked by: Brendan

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast