Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: NON PBG Guitar wiring help

Awesome! I am glad you got it working. Congratulations on seeing it though, and being patient with me while I led you down a false path. Thanks for that

The pickup switch being reversed doesn't matter really as long as it gets the job done.

I'd check one of your solder joints. If you haven't done it already, the the connection I've circled in blue doesn't appear to be soldered. it may be touching the switch tab at the moment and making contact, but it needs to be soldered for reliability.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no solder.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	317.8 KB 
ID:	34678

I know I'm late to the party here, but for future reference, for any 2 pickup guitar with 1 volume 1 tone and 3-way lever switch, I refer to the good 'ol tele wiring scheme. HB's or SC's principle is the same

Plain & simple:

Name:	Tele.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	34679
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

If the unnecessary (but not harmful) extra link from each pickup wire (from A0 to A3, and B0 to B1) in the horribly flawed DiMarzio diagram is removed, that tele wiring is exactly where we ended up. I still feel bad for not checking that diagram in the first place, but at least the guitar is working now.

This Dimarzio diagram that was linked to is perfectly correct. https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.ne...t_3w_all_0.pdf

These are the 3 ways I've found (so far) to wire that type of switch, with that Dimarzio diagram being one of them:

Name:	switch v1.png 
Views:	170 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	34682

Name:	switch v2.png 
Views:	176 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	34683

Name:	Switch V3.png 
Views:	187 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	34684

The third one is really just an extension of the second one, as the extra links are superfluous, but it still works.

Simon, you are correct. Hampered by not having a switch handy that I could test with a multimeter, I have misinterpreted a (misleading?) detail on the Fralin diagram. They have the relative positions of the terminals mirrored - "A" in your diagram is shown as the terminal closest to the end on each side. I interpreted this as the switch being viewed from above rather than below but it is actually a red herring with no meaning at all. Terminal identification is purely an order/left-to-right affair. If I ignore the different terminal offsets then all diagrams you linked make sense. Here's a composite image showing the Fralin image on the bottom. Terminal numbering is identical, but the offset relative to the two narrow ends of the switch are mirrored compared to every other diagram I have seen. Confusing, but not wrong.

Name:	confusion.png 
Views:	164 
Size:	236.8 KB 
ID:	34688

There are differences between switch manufacturers, for example between an Oaks Grigsby and Gotoh 3 or 5 way lever switch.

Whilst the switching configuration is the same, the physical appearance (like the offset of the terminals) is not. It can be confusing at first glance. I still keep printed reference materials in my workshop just for this reason. The ol' cranial hard drive ain't what it used to be .
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Yeah, I get that now, thanks.

My confusion also means my "wiring fix" just added redundant links. The reason it appeared to help is that jostling things around made the intermittent connections work for a bit.

Alkay, you definitely need more solder on those joints.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Once you get to three pickups, then there really is only one way to wire a 3-way or 5-way switch (though there is always the option on most switches to cross-link the terminals on each side of the switch for increased contact reliability).

Been awhile since I checked this.

Thank you everyone. Yes Simons diagram worked too. I got it going and he is happy.
    I would like to build a 7 string in the future so this helps me allot.
    Cheers,
    Alkay.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4