Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: NON PBG Guitar wiring help

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    I hope this helps. Please excuse the very rough edits, I didn't spend time making it pretty but hopefully it shows how the Pitbull wiring diagram connects to the 8-lug 3-way blade switch that you have.
    Attachment 34639

And my apologies to the Pitbull copyright holders for thus modifying their image. It's purely to help a forum member wire up parts they bought from Pitbull.
    Thanks jugglindan,

Thats perfect I think I can follow that. Thank you very much for putting in the time creating it.

I will let you know how I get on with it.

Cheers,
    Alkay.

Good luck!

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Great work @jugglindan - love to see a forum member helping another out!

Thanks @Brendan. The wiring is my only strong-point in this whole process, so it's nice to try to repay all the help I get here.

5. Liked by: Brendan

Good luck!

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Hi jugglindan,

Thanks heaps for the diagram. I finished soldering and it does work

Only thing is the middle switch position is basically muted. I would have thought middle position would enable both the neck and bridge pickups at the same time? Please correct me if I have that wrong?

Also the bridge pickup is enabled when the switch is furthest from the bridge pickup
    and the neck pickup is enabled when the switch is furthest from the neck pickup.

I took the orientation of the diagram as a birds eye view looking at it from outside the body looking down at the plastic knob. That was the only way that seemed to make sense with my pic above of the switch I purchased to make the orientation the same.

I hope that makes sense but I really appreciate your help so thank you very much.

Cheers,
    Alkay.

Only thing is the middle switch position is basically muted. I would have thought middle position would enable both the neck and bridge pickups at the same time? Please correct me if I have that wrong?
    You are correct. Middle position engages both pickups.
    We may need some photos to help you troubleshoot that part.

Also the bridge pickup is enabled when the switch is furthest from the bridge pickup
    and the neck pickup is enabled when the switch is furthest from the neck pickup.
    Easy fix! just swap the pickup leads from where they are presently connected. You could also just turn the switch around, but there may not be enough length on the wires to do that.

I saw jugglindan's diagram, and his scheme is different than I would do it. I'm not saying it's wrong. There are usually several ways of wiring a guitar circuit that will yield the same result.

If you can post clear pics of what you have wired, someone should be able to point out where things have gone awry.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    You are correct. Middle position engages both pickups.
    We may need some photos to help you troubleshoot that part.

Easy fix! just swap the pickup leads from where they are presently connected. You could also just turn the switch around, but there may not be enough length on the wires to do that.

I saw jugglindan's diagram, and his scheme is different than I would do it. I'm not saying it's wrong. There are usually several ways of wiring a guitar circuit that will yield the same result.

If you can post clear pics of what you have wired, someone should be able to point out where things have gone awry.
    Thanks McCreed,

I appreciate the time but he just picked up the guitar and wasn't interested in me fixing up the pickups. I wish I had a photo of it I could upload so that it might help others too.

Yes I understand about turning the switch around, I just wish I knew what I did wrong with the wiring to stop the middle switch engaging both the neck and bridge pickups.

Thank you everyone that contributed to fixing this anyway. I'm mostly used to wiring LP style guitars so this one was a new one for me.

Cheers,
    Alkay

McCreed is correct and I am not. My apologies but I have led you astray by not checking the logic of the DiMarzio diagram. I just assumed that since it was indexed under "2 humbucker, 3-way switch, 1 volume, 1 tone, neck, neck/bridge, bridge" that it would be the correct diagram. I think the DiMarzio diagram is incorrect, and that you wired it up perfectly. Here is my analysis diagram. Green dots indicate the lugs that are connected on that side of the switch for each position, red dots indicate the lugs that are connected on the other bank. The top row of diagrams shows the result for each blade position using the DiMarzio wiring. The bottom row corrects the mistakes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dimarzio diagram decoded.png 
Views:	176 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	34662

However, you can see that all that is required is one extra link on each side for the middle switch position to select both pickups. So if your friend ever returns the guitar it will be easy to fix.

Plus you should be pleased that you followed the diagram perfectly, it's the DiMarzio switch wiring that is wrong. My apologies once again for that.

I forgot to mention that I just found this excellent page that demystifies the 3 and 5-way blade switches. It should be essential reading for everyone before they start wiring their guitar.

It should also be essential reading for me before I answer any pickup wiring questions! Sorry once again

McCreed is correct and I am not. My apologies but I have led you astray by not checking the logic of the DiMarzio diagram. I just assumed that since it was indexed under "2 humbucker, 3-way switch, 1 volume, 1 tone, neck, neck/bridge, bridge" that it would be the correct diagram. I think the DiMarzio diagram is incorrect, and that you wired it up perfectly. Here is my analysis diagram. Green dots indicate the lugs that are connected on that side of the switch for each position, red dots indicate the lugs that are connected on the other bank. The top row of diagrams shows the result for each blade position using the DiMarzio wiring. The bottom row corrects the mistakes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dimarzio diagram decoded.png 
Views:	176 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	34662

However, you can see that all that is required is one extra link on each side for the middle switch position to select both pickups. So if your friend ever returns the guitar it will be easy to fix.

Plus you should be pleased that you followed the diagram perfectly, it's the DiMarzio switch wiring that is wrong. My apologies once again for that.
    No need to apologise mate your help is greatly appreciated. It is a bit difficult to understand your new diagram without the guitar here now but I think what you are saying is I just need to add a wire on each side to get both pickups working in the middle position.

I will see if I can get him to drop the guitar back over in the next couple of days and try to fix it. I will take a picture of the wiring if he does bring it back because I want to do it correctly.

It will be helpful for me to understand this for the future because I'll probably build a seven string at some stage

Cheers,
    Alkay

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast