Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best tool for scraping binding?

Best tool for scraping binding?

Hi all,
    Can anyone suggest a good tool for scraping stain off a binding?
    The binding was masked but a little seeped through in parts.
    Thanks

I used an exacto knife blade and worked very slowly to avoid scratching the paint. Holding the flat of the blade between thumb and forefinger gave me some control over the depth, again to avoid scratching the paintwork.

But probably the best tool I have seen is this adjustable scraper made by McCreed.

Dang, just re-read your post. My comments are for paint. I think stain is a completely different challenge, and one that I have no advice for. Sorry

The same tool will work well for scraping stain as well. You can (if pushed) just wrap tape several times around a sharp blade, leaving just the tip of the blade to the depth of the binding poking out.

Thanks Simon and jugglindan. That helps a lot. I have not had to clean around binding before.

Good luck! This is one of those jobs where slow and steady definitely wins the race.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

I use a sharp disposable scraper blade, I burnish the edge over at 45degree on the hardened edge of a vice or chisel so it forms a hooked edge, this is faster and much safer than just using the blade on edge as it won't dig in and shaves of paper thin layers of binding with little effort.
    Clamp it in a slotted piece of dowel and you can control scrape width as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Tassieaxeman View Post
    I use a sharp disposable scraper blade, I burnish the edge over at 45degree on the hardened edge of a vice or chisel so it forms a hooked edge, this is faster and much safer than just using the blade on edge as it won't dig in and shaves of paper thin layers of binding with little effort.
    Clamp it in a slotted piece of dowel and you can control scrape width as well!
    Do you have a photo you could share?

@BD, if you click the link jugglindan posted above in #2 there's a pic there.
    The main difference between mine and Tassieaxeman's is his burnishing of the edge of the blade.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    The main difference between mine and Tassieaxeman's is his burnishing of the edge of the blade.
    Yeah that's what I'm having trouble envisaging in my mind. How that looks like exactly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast