Thread: Clear matte or satin finish / stained neck and back questions?

Clear matte or satin finish / stained neck and back questions?

Hi mates!

For my first build, I got a couple of question about finishing.

1- got a spalted maple top, would like to put on a clear finish over the top, just to highlight the spalting, but not 'fade' it by adding colors. I also don't really want a glossy finish, well not too much. What would you recommend as a matte/satin clear top coat? I would probably use the same top coat over the back of the guitar, but I was thinking of staining the back, so would have to be compatible.

2- What do you prefer using for finishing the neck?

3- I ordered it with a Jatoba fretboard, we'll see when I receive it, but might want to darken it a bit, not black as ebony, but medium dark brown... What would you use?

Finally, after darkening the fretboard, do I only swipe with some lemon oil?

I'm still reading on every options, listening videos and gathering indormations, but the opinion of experienced builders might help!

Thank you guys!

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Not 100% sure the best approach with those fret boards, so I'll let someone else answer that.

For satin finishes I really like Cabots Exterior Marine Grade Poly in a spray can. Available at the Big Green Shed, I've used it on a few builds now and it feels really nice in your hands.

http://www.paintspot.com.au/cabots-e...ack-300gm.html

On this build its on both body and neck including fretboard

Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Thanks Sonic, I'll surely check that!
    That is an awesome guitar!

Hi,
    If you haven't already done your neck and want to darken the fret board, you could try raven oil in brown. The brand I have is Waproo.
    You'ld have to mask off around the board carefully, and it can still leak under the tape if you pour it on. But it soaks into the wood well. You can apply several coats if you want. But you would want to seal it in, say with tung oil. You can wet sand the board, in fact the whole neck, with tung oil. Just wipe in down several times well the first 24hrs. If you wet sand it to 2000 grit, it should have a lovely smooth satin finish.
    Stewmac strat, tele
    DIY starcaster
    PBG LP-1M x2
    HB-4 x2(L)
    12 string strats x3
    Ex1(L) Ex1(R)
    TBJ5
    PB4(L)
    PBG2
    IB-5(L)
    ES-1TL x2
    scratch lapsteel (half finished)