Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: My First Build: Which Red Is The Best Red?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    It really is easy to cut a headstock shape out using a coping saw and some files and sandpaper (a Dremel drum sander is also useful). It's a lot of work to add finish to the end of the headstock at a later date. You can even print out a paper template and stick it on as a guide if you don't feel up to hand drawing it.
    This is what I did. I printed several headstock shapes at actual size, cut them out with an exacto knife and tried them over the headstock blank until I had the shape I liked. Then I taped it in place with masking tape and drew the outline onto the blank with a soft pencil. Cut as close as I dared with a coping saw, followed by final shaping with rasps and hand sanding.

This was pretty much my first attempt at woodworking since high school a very long time ago. So if I can do it, anyone can!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnathanL View Post
    Gotcahaaaaa! So if I was going for something darker with what I've got at the moment, should I do a black dye, sand back then hit it with the red? Or would that not work either. :/
    Again I'll refer to the different solvents issue. I can't say what result you'd get going over an oil-based stain (Feast Watson Black) with an alcohol-based dye (Angelus). It may be fine in separate applications, but I've never done it so I can't say with any certainty.

However, if you try it, I would wait a sufficient amount of time to allow the oil-based to thoroughly dry (essentially gas-off) before applying the Angelus.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Again I'll refer to the different solvents issue. I can't say what result you'd get going over an oil-based stain (Feast Watson Black) with an alcohol-based dye (Angelus). It may be fine in separate applications, but I've never done it so I can't say with any certainty.

However, if you try it, I would wait a sufficient amount of time to allow the oil-based to thoroughly dry (essentially gas-off) before applying the Angelus.
    Makes sense... I'll see how I go with just the Angelus alone first and if it's not deep enough, I'll grab some black spirit-based dye.

SInce I've got the Feat Watson already though, I'll be using that on the Front of the headstock. I want it pure black like a classic SG. I won't start till sunday so please stop me if I'm being stupid :S

Also, just a reminder to myself never to open a bag of gloves with scissors again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1995.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	459.1 KB 
ID:	34634

Name:	camphoto_341603450.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	34635

Guys,

I think there may be an issue with my headstock...please advise.

I think the tuner holes are not aligned to the headstock. Visually it's very obviously off-center and I just wanted to make sure that it is in fact an error before I reach out to Adam (hard to capture it in a photo)

The edge top left hole measures 0.8cm from the edge while the top right hole measures 0.6cm from the edge.
    The bottom left hole measures 4cm from the end of the fretboard while the bottom right hole measures 4.2cm

Name:	IMG_1998.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	320.0 KB 
ID:	34638

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Very common for them not to be bang on. It's not generally a problem functionally and becomes a lot less noticeable once tuners and strings etc are on.

The fix is to plug them with a bit of dowel and re-drill the holes, which isn't difficult. The repair is hidden under the machine head and washer so you'll never see it.

I'd say it's probably not bad enough for a replacement, but it never hurts to ask the question if you don't feel like you can tackle the fix, although now that you've started finishing on the neck it's probably not an option.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Very common for them not to be bang on. It's not generally a problem functionally and becomes a lot less noticeable once tuners and strings etc are on.

The fix is to plug them with a bit of dowel and re-drill the holes, which isn't difficult. The repair is hidden under the machine head and washer so you'll never see it.

I'd say it's probably not bad enough for a replacement, but it never hurts to ask the question if you don't feel like you can tackle the fix, although now that you've started finishing on the neck it's probably not an option.
    Ahh, I see.

I've sent Adam an email already so we'll see what he says. I'm not confident in fixing it myself but if it's not going to cause me any issues functionally then it should be right. All part of the charm I guess

Cheers, mate.

As sonic said, it probably won't be as noticeable when finished and tuners installed.
    Try fitting the tuners and see if there's enough wiggle room in the holes to position them more evenly.

I'm presuming you're using the included kit tuners, so whilst it may not be the perfect fix, rather than dowelling and re-drilling, you could cheat the bottom row of holes over toward the centre 1mm with a round file. The dress washers will be large enough to cover the holes and the threaded bush should have enough clamping pressure to keep them secure as well as the fixing screws on the back.

As I said there may be just enough room with the existing holes to get them centred without modifying them. Give that a try first.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    As sonic said, it probably won't be as noticeable when finished and tuners installed.
    Try fitting the tuners and see if there's enough wiggle room in the holes to position them more evenly.

I'm presuming you're using the included kit tuners, so whilst it may not be the perfect fix, rather than dowelling and re-drilling, you could cheat the bottom row of holes over toward the centre 1mm with a round file. The dress washers will be large enough to cover the holes and the threaded bush should have enough clamping pressure to keep them secure as well as the fixing screws on the back.

As I said there may be just enough room with the existing holes to get them centred without modifying them. Give that a try first.
    Got it! Thanks for that, mate.

Tend to think using that black to darken things may not work due to compatibility issues plus the added degree of difficulty in getting the right blend of both colours. Much easier to keep adding more stain coats to achieve darker shades of same hue.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-7104F using Tapatalk
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

Name:	camphoto_341603450.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	34696

Name:	camphoto_1804928587.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	34697

Name:	camphoto_126398554.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	34698

It's not perfect but you know what? It's mine!

Thanks for the hot tips guys. Put on another thin coat of timbermate on the neck post cut and I'm gonna sand and throw on the first layer of dye (Angelus Red) either tonight or tomorrow morning. Wish me luck

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast