Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GTL-1 Second build

GTL-1 Second build

Darling, you know I don't have a Telecaster. "What about that?" she asked. Well, it's a chambered Tele, basically a Fibson! "What about that?" she asked. Aah, that's a Thinline, see it's got humbuckers.

After explaining the intracicies and history of the Telecaster, I got the go ahead. She knows it's about the project, and fly rods are much more expensive. So is a Cadillac Green Country Gent.

I think everyone is having a similar idea in lockdown and I'm slow off the mark - but managed to get the only available straight Telecaster kit variant left on PBG. Ash body and maple neck, with a set of Vintage Plus Toneriders on the way.

So Candy Apple Red possibly over gold body, Colortone straw and Tru Oil neck (the last one felt insanely good). I think the ambers are over the top.

White pearloid scratchplate, Gotoh bridge, Klusons curved neck plate and a tummy cut.

So a question to those much more experienced, suggestions for SuperCrap color codes for silver or gold and red if can they do a candy coat spray?

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Sounds cool, I'd just go and have a look at the duplicolour rack and see what takes your fancy.

They do mix some paints on site at my SC, but I'm not sure if they do pearls or any other effects paint, you might need to go to an dedicated paint supplier. A quick google shows a couple of places such as Auto Paint Supplies in Fishwyck.

It won't be very cheap to get a can mixed up, but at the same time, you won't need much.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Thanks for the heads up. I've had spray cans mixed at SCA, touching up my old Imprezza before I gave it to a nephew.

A quick call out to anyone who has used a non-kit bridge on a Bitbull Tele! What's the spacing 10.5 (52mm) or 10.8 (54mm).

Adam is out of chrome kits and matching a 21 fret neck and ash body for me, I told him I was only going to use part of the kit. Unfortunately my RealTone cart now exceeds Wife Approval Factor.

RealTone Tele bridges are all 54mm, I bought a second Hand Squier Thinline (to replace my original 72) and the original bridge was wonky and the strings fell off the fretboard. Replaced with a Gotoh 102 (10.5mm)hardtail and it plays superbly, probably better than my original.

Paint is on it's way from a Melbourne auto paint supplier who sell on eBay. Do I have to go that route for a bridge?

PS: Anybody see a natural '72 Thinline, with a hole on the lower horn for a lefty and a neck stamped 3 DEC 72, my flatmate Kenny disappeared with around 1997!
    Last edited by Simon_B; 16-04-2020 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Gotoh string spacing

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_B View Post
    A quick call out to anyone who has used a non-kit bridge on a Bitbull Tele! What's the spacing 10.5 (52mm) or 10.8 (54mm).
    Standard Fender bridge:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	string spacing.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	450.5 KB 
ID:	34566

cheers, Mark.

Thanks Mark, that looks 52 to me. That cuts down the options basically to a Wilkinson modern.

Something arrived today, delivery time not excessive considering what Aussie post and Star Track have been going through. They were delivering to neighbours all ANZAC long weekend. I saw a Posite in a Carolla!

Name:	20200429_110556.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	262.7 KB 
ID:	34813

Since you esteemed gentlemen beat me to all the chrome kits, I overpaid. Adam owed me for a set of Grover tuners from last year and he did me a deal on the case - I tried to tell him I felt I owed him $20-30. Nice case!

The body has a really nice grain, and is pretty much perfectly bookmatched. It seems a pity to put a solid paint on it but that's the plan.

Name:	20200429_112358.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	268.5 KB 
ID:	34814

Name:	20200429_113259.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	262.8 KB 
ID:	34815

The neck has some really attractive grain as well, waiting on some StewMAc stain (Straw) from the US to give it a slight tint, I find the heavy amber too much a faux ageing effect.

Name:	20200429_110627.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	34816

Name:	20200429_111433.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	248.6 KB 
ID:	34817

Probably the only real flaws, are firstly a gouge on the neck pocket, I'm open to suggestions as to how to fill it! I have some mahogany timbermate sfom years ago (and some ebony from the SG build) or I could go to the Green shed. Gotta go and get some sealer anyway.

Name:	20200429_111401.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	34818

Besides that there's a bump on the side between the 12th and 13th frets to sand. I'll take some measurements and may sand the neck thinner as well.

Name:	20200429_114026.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	34819

But the maple grain is fantastic on the headstock and the holes are probably straighter than I could do them!

Name:	20200429_113159.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	34820

Congrats on your new kit! Looks good.

re: tuner hole, yes, they look good. Nice & straight, however I suggest measuring their centre to centre distances just to be sure before starting any finish. They look fine in the photo though. A little bit out isn't a problem unless your using vintage-style tuners.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Good advice - I've got a set of vinatge Klusons

I am doing to do a basic build before any finishing. Pretty much everything except fret dressing and small holes like pickguard screws.

The pickguard will require some adjustment.

Name:	20200429_112300.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	34825

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast