Thread: PB-30R pick guard swap?

PB-30R pick guard swap?

I'm curious about the possibility of changing the stock pick guard with something different but I'm having trouble. I don't immediately recognize it as an easy guard to swap out.
    It doesn't match either a jazz or true precision type pick guard, is there another bass that has a similar pick guard design or would I be looking towards body modifications to fit other pick guards?

Historically there were two Fender short scale basses, the Bronco and the Mustang. Both have been reissued. Yours looks like a Hybrid. Your body shape looks like a p-bass. The pickguard looks like a Bronco, which is one piece like a p-bass but a little different shape, BUT the bronco has a single coil. Yours has a p-bass pickup like the reissue Mustang. Best bet might be a reissue Mustang pickguard. They are designed to be two piece, like on a jazz bass. Plastic pickguard, with a metal control plate. it would be a little different than the one piece pickguard that you have now. But it looks like it might fit...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

3. Liked by: vocaltokes

The kit has the options of white, white pearloid or tortoiseshell pickguards. If either of the two other options to the one you have takes your fancy, then you could email Adam and ask if it's possible to buy one.

Otherwise, you could try to make your own from a blank, using the original as a template. Or find a custom pickguard maker. Or simply spray the pickguard another colour.

5. Liked by: vocaltokes

Do cut away scratch plate so volume jack can sit flush

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    Historically there were two Fender short scale basses, the Bronco and the Mustang. Both have been reissued. Yours looks like a Hybrid. Your body shape looks like a p-bass. The pickguard looks like a Bronco, which is one piece like a p-bass but a little different shape, BUT the bronco has a single coil. Yours has a p-bass pickup like the reissue Mustang. Best bet might be a reissue Mustang pickguard. They are designed to be two piece, like on a jazz bass. Plastic pickguard, with a metal control plate. it would be a little different than the one piece pickguard that you have now. But it looks like it might fit...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    Hey thanks for the in depth reply! I had looked through the different variations of basses available from Fender, and initially the reason for me to try a build was because I would enjoy having a short scale bass like a Mustang (considering they're generally out of my price range). I never noticed the different shape of the guard prior to placing the order and once I began trying to figure out my design then I realized the unique pick guard. I think I'm going to enjoy having a bass that has a unique hybrid appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    The kit has the options of white, white pearloid or tortoiseshell pickguards. If either of the two other options to the one you have takes your fancy, then you could email Adam and ask if it's possible to buy one.

Otherwise, you could try to make your own from a blank, using the original as a template. Or find a custom pickguard maker. Or simply spray the pickguard another colour.
    Thanks for the reply! I actually did notice that, I went with the white pearloid since I own a black Fender Jazz with the red/brown tortoise shell already...and I personally couldn't go with just a plain white one.

Quote Originally Posted by vocaltokes View Post
    I'm curious about the possibility of changing the stock pick guard with something different but I'm having trouble. I don't immediately recognize it as an easy guard to swap out.
    It doesn't match either a jazz or true precision type pick guard, is there another bass that has a similar pick guard design or would I be looking towards body modifications to fit other pick guards?
    Hi, This is a Custom guard and I'm afraid we are down to only White pickguards available. As Simon has said, you buy pickguard material and make your own, or paint the kit pickguard you receive.
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com