Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Aion Electronics Aurora Pedal

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Garfield View Post
    Is the purpose of the mini board to save a few wires? Just curious...

It looks like Aurora V2 has the mini board - maybe you can “borrow” the schematic?
    It won't reduce the number of wires (other than a couple of the jumper wires on the switch) but it will allow me to tidy things up by getting rid of the star grounding on the input jack. It's not a necessity, I just like all my wiring (both guitars and pedals) to be as tidy as possible because it makes it easier to find faults if there are any.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    Woltz, I think your wiring will work. I didn't realise your main PCB had a switch input for connecting the LED cathode to ground in the on position. The left hand LED hole is for the cathode of a single colour LED, so it looks good to me. I got one of the bi-color LEDs with my orange squeezer kit, but I don't like the idea of an always on LED. I then have to remember which colour is on and which is off. Plus the brightness was really different between the two colours.
    I'll try it when it gets here and report back haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    It won't reduce the number of wires (other than a couple of the jumper wires on the switch) but it will allow me to tidy things up by getting rid of the star grounding on the input jack. It's not a necessity, I just like all my wiring (both guitars and pedals) to be as tidy as possible because it makes it easier to find faults if there are any.

I think that star grounding is the wires I was talking about. I'm looking forward to seeing the change, and learning from you!

Is your pedal noisy at all, in any of the treble switch positions or anything?
    Last edited by Joe Garfield; 15-05-2020 at 07:03 PM.
    *Pictures may be rotated due to my proximity to the equator.

I don't use star grounds in any pedals. So long as you avoid a loop you should be OK. In recent stripboard builds I have followed this scheme from Tag Board Effects. The ground follows one neat line, no loop. You can sort of see it here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17_testing.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	191.7 KB 
ID:	35120

Compared to the diagram, I don't wire the LED directly to the footswitch. I make a tiny board from stripboard and solder the CLR, LED, and wires to that. It's a bit hard to see in the photo since it's over the main board. I like this approach since it lets me position the LED anywhere in the enclosure.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Mentor
    So I'm still waiting on my enclosures. They were shipped a month ago from Tayda in Thailand and the tracking doesn't even show it landing in Australia yet. Contemplating ordering a couple of enclosures from PedalParts because they now have stock again.

On a more positive note the footswitch pcb has arrived so I will look to get that setup ready to go and test it out.

Great. I need some more enclosures too. For my phaser I used one of the low-grade enclosures from Pedal Parts because that was all they had. In hindsight that was not the best choice for a polished metal finish.
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Mentor
    Enclosures are finally here! I will look at drilling them on the weekend. Not sure about the graphics because it's so cold at the moment that spraying lacquer isn't ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    Enclosures are finally here! I will look at drilling them on the weekend. Not sure about the graphics because it's so cold at the moment that spraying lacquer isn't ideal.
    I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Have you tested the circuit itself yet?

And yeah, it's not a great time in Canberra for painting. I managed to get the neck for my tele done, but only by using a heater in the shed.

Mentor
    Not yet, I'll solder the switch onto the mini pcb on the weekend and test it out.

Mentor
    So I drilled the holes in the enclosure today after a trip to the big green shed to get the drill bit I needed. And I wasn't paying attention and forgot to put something soft down on my mdf drill press table and the result was this.

So I took that as a sign that this enclosure doesn't want finishing. So I went ahead and installed the electronics. After a couple of issues with everything fitting and some tweaking it's all nicely tucked in there.

Ready to test.

Now here's my comments after testing. With the Sustain knob at zero the pedal sounds alright. I can turn the Level knob all the way up without any issues. Once the Threshold gets above around the 2 o'clock position the noise starts creeping in.

The attack switch with my current guitars for me is virtually useless. It functions without any problems but the setting with the most treble is by far the nicest and I don't anticipate that I'd ever use the other two options. If I was building it again I'd get rid of the switch altogether and just run it with the cap value that I like.
    Last edited by Woltz; 30-05-2020 at 07:34 PM.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast