Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Aion Electronics Aurora Pedal

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    You can see in my Phase 45 thread I made a enclosure jig out of thin MDF. I drilled holes using the enclosure template. It helps hold things steady but also lets me test the template itself - are the pots close but not too close etc.
    Yep I might do that. I must've missed that in your thread.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    Yep I might do that. I must've missed that in your thread.

Just don't make my mistake. My DC jacks have the thread on the inside of the case, so they need to be soldered into the enclosure with the nut already threaded over the wires. I completely forgot this last night and soldered the jack into the MDF! So I had to cut it off after testing. Still need to clean up the solder so I can box the circuit. Fortunately I have enough length on the wires so I don't need to change anything else.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Mentor
    Yep mine are the same type as you've got. Not really much of a way to avoid it if you want to test outside the enclosure and you want to have the leads soldered during testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    Yep mine are the same type as you've got. Not really much of a way to avoid it if you want to test outside the enclosure and you want to have the leads soldered during testing.

Normally during testing I leave the DC jack leads unsoldered and use alligator leads to hook up a 9v battery to the tinned ends.
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

5. Liked by: Joe Garfield

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    Normally during testing I leave the DC jack leads unsoldered and use alligator leads to hook up a 9v battery to the tinned ends.
    I'd do that if I had a set here haha. I think a trip to Jaycar may happen soon for that and a few other things.

I’m stoked to find this thread here! I’m considering a compressor for my first build and would love a 3-4 knob Ross-based comp. I had a Keeley 4c before I sold my guitars and really liked it.

Does anyone know much about the Aurora mods people talk about? I don’t see that in the documentation (maybe pots vs switches, or added features?)
    Last edited by Joe Garfield; 13-05-2020 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Garfield View Post
    I’m stoked to find this thread here! I’m considering a compressor for my first build and would love a 3-4 knob Ross-based comp.

I’ll have to read through this thread but I’m curious what people are doing for the chip? Small Bear’s site says they’re in-stock but there’s no button to ‘add to cart’.

Edit: I’m confused by the 2 versions: the old version (still available) uses the CA3080, and it sounds like it has the Attack knob? And the new version uses LM13700 but they don’t mention more than 2 knobs. Which is being built here?
    Pedal Parts Australia sells CA3080 chips, but they are expensive (but at 10AUD, the exchange rate will work in your favor). They also sell Ross compressor kits, but they are 2 knob versions.

There are also ways to use the cheaper LM13700 with PCB designed for the CA3080.

Sorry I edited my previous post a million times while I was learning about this. I found that Aion has a V2 aurora board specifically for the LM13700. I’m about to hit 6 weeks waiting for my guitar from Australia so I think I’ll hold off on international shipping for awhile.

Mentor
    G'day Joe, Aion have an old version (which is the one I'm building) that fits a 1590B enclosure and uses the CA3080 and they have a new version for a 125B enclosure that uses the LM13700 as you found. I'm building the old version with the Janglebox mods as per the guide on their website (https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7m5f9rbe6...ation.pdf?dl=1).

Small Bear is closed for orders at the moment because of Covid. You can browse their site but you can't order anything.

Alternate supplier for CA3080 - http://www.worldwideelectroniccomponents.com.au/

11. Liked by: Joe Garfield

G’Day, Woltz! Thank you.
    *Pictures may be rotated due to my proximity to the equator.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast