Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Aion Electronics Aurora Pedal

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    Ohhh I've wanted to build a Timmy, but haven't got around to it. Did you get a Timmy PCB or etch or vero board?

Have you tried a Red Llama clone? one of my fave OD's
    Sorry to disappoint, but my Timmy clone is a Caline Pure Sky bought from eBay. My current Direct Drive is the first pedal I have built on stripboard (have built other circuits but not pedals). There is a layout on tagboardeffects, and it has nearly half the component count of a direct drive, so I might build one in the future. The Pure sky doesn't have the clipping diode selection switch. I have all the components on hand except for the JRC4559 but I could sub a 4558.

No, never tried a Red Llama. I was going to build a Red Snapper, but I don't have all the parts. It's not at all the same, just "red"

Very cool still. The Tag board schematic doesn't look too difficult.

If you want to have a go at the Red Llama have a look at my Snarkdoodle thread. I think it works well as a clean boost, to meaty overdrive to a very saturated distortion pedal. Its got a nice interplay with different types of amp.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Sorry to disappoint, but my Timmy clone is a Caline Pure Sky bought from eBay.
    Hah! I have one of those, as well as the Caline Orange Burst (alleged BB Preamp clone). Both are actually great sounding pedals and work incredibly well together. I use the PS as light - medium OD into the OB to get extra dirt (or by themselves). Hard to beat for 40 bucks AUD.

I haven't done any internal mods, only cosmetic mods to the enclosures just to personalise them a bit:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PS_OB v2 1kx750.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	34557
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Very cool still. The Tag board schematic doesn't look too difficult.

If you want to have a go at the Red Llama have a look at my Snarkdoodle thread. I think it works well as a clean boost, to meaty overdrive to a very saturated distortion pedal. Its got a nice interplay with different types of amp.
    It was your thread that turned me off any homebrew PCB attempts! I am just not sure how many dirt pedals I really need. I already have 4 on my board and am building #5. So what to do with a hobby that boils down to building things I don't need?

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Hah! I have one of those, as well as the Caline Orange Burst (alleged BB Preamp clone). Both are actually great sounding pedals and work incredibly well together. I use the PS as light - medium OD into the OB to get extra dirt (or by themselves). Hard to beat for 40 bucks AUD.

I haven't done any internal mods, only cosmetic mods to the enclosures just to personalise them a bit:
    I agree, the PS is a great sounding light OD for the price. Probably for any price. I use it as the first pedal in my chain (after the tuner). I use it alone for strumming sorts of things like playing along to the Lumineers, or stacked into one of the other pedals. A homebrew Timmy or AC Booster might be the only thing to evict it.

I have read a comparison of the Xotic pedals RC, AC, & BB. The circuits for all three are very similar. I have a vision of all three on a single board with a switch to select. The switching would likely be too complex though, but switching some key components might be interesting. Sounds like a breadboard project.

Mentor
    Listening to you guys makes me realise I need to do more pedals after these two. The question is what pedals to get when I have a Marshall DSL Amp not a solid state amp.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

You ....Need...(to make)....More...Pedals
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Mentor
    You ....Need...(to make)....More...Pedals
    Lol I'm thinking maybe a Trem pedal and a Delay pedal next.

I actually want to have a go at building a tube amp as well but looking at prices the transformers are a fair hit to the back pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    Listening to you guys makes me realise I need to do more pedals after these two. The question is what pedals to get when I have a Marshall DSL Amp not a solid state amp.

I guess it depends on what sounds you like, and what style you play. There are kits and stripboard circuits for nearly everything.

I mostly play at night when everyone else is asleep. Dirt pedals into my THR-10 give me lots of options at low volume. Apart from overdrives and compression I also like occasional phaser, delay (set on 1 30ms repeat to thicken notes), and chorus. Most of those circuits are more complex than drive pedals, but in a PCB kit they would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    I actually want to have a go at building a tube amp as well
    One of the best things I ever did was to build an amp. now I am highly addicted.

Doing a scratch build now of a 5E3 which I intend to mod.

I might do a build diary if there is interest. I sourced all of the parts here in Australia and saved a bucket load on shipping from the US
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4