Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Barber Compact Direct Drive

enclosure painted, ready for some clear (when I spray guitar tomorrow) then racing themed decals and more clear:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16_enclosure_painted.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	34601
    I took inspiration from some of the old Lotus and other British racing liveries of the 60s and 70s.

I immediately thought, Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    I immediately thought, Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    Hah, I didn't even think of that. Good thing I have the white stripe

I was thinking more of things like these:

Name:	s-l640.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	34602

Name:	lotus-23b-race-car-fresh-restoration-ready-for-track-or-moueum-1.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	34603

Although green, yellow, and white turn out to be my daughter's school colours as well.

Decals on. The decal edges are not as noticeable in normal light (I had a powerful desk lamp shining from the left), and hopefully they will be even less obvious once a couple of clear coats go on tomorrow.

Name:	18_decal_daylight.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	34609
    Edit: changed to a photo taken in daylight. Legibility still poor over the green, but decal edges not so bad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17_decals.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	34605  
    Last edited by jugglindan; 20-04-2020 at 08:53 AM. Reason: change to better picture

The decal edges are not as noticeable in normal light (I had a powerful desk lamp shining from the left), and hopefully they will be even less obvious once a couple of clear coats go on tomorrow.
    With some of the enclosures I've done, I have laid out all the control positions and their labels on one single decal in Illustrator.
    Doing it that way puts the decal edge right the edge of the box.
    After the decal is completely dry (left overnight) I cut out the pots & switch holes with a sharp pointy hobby knife.

I also print at least 1 more than I need in case I stuff it up and need to remove & re-apply.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

That's a good idea. This was my first time using decals since the model airplane days when I was 10.

I might be able to do that next time if I am lucky. My printer struggles with the decal paper thickness and it smeared the toner on the middle third of the page. If I am lucky I might get a useable 125B-sized decal on the sides.

Name:	decal_printer_fail.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	34608

It's also interesting to me that the decals over dark colours have much more visible edges than over light. Something for me to consider when painting my next enclosures (got at least 3 in the pipeline - compressor, red llama, and buffer).

#5 is alive!

Got everything wired in to the enclosure tonight. It's snug, but it all fits (lots of electrical tape just in case):

Name:	19_nearly_there.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	34680

And done:

Name:	20_done.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	34681

Except for the knobs, they are temporary until the decent ones arrive.

It works nicely. It's a more raucous sound than my OD-2, at higher gain settings it gets close to Marshall Guv'nor/plexi territory. Lots of other useful sounds in there as well. Hitting the high gain switch really kicks it up a notch. Tone control doesn't do much but the harmonics switch changes the sound a lot, in a nice way.

Cool! Looks like the decals bedded in better than the other one, and I actually like those knobs (especially if there were 3 of them ).

Shame about the tone control. Can it be remedied with a different value pot?

I've become a huge fan of OD's with 2 or 3 band EQ. Any plans down the track for something like that?
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Cool! Looks like the decals bedded in better than the other one, and I actually like those knobs (especially if there were 3 of them ).

Shame about the tone control. Can it be remedied with a different value pot?

I've become a huge fan of OD's with 2 or 3 band EQ. Any plans down the track for something like that?
    Yes, the decals did bed down better on this one. Not sure why as the paint was the same age and I used the same technique. I have noticed that the paint colour affects how the decal edges look. The tone works, but it's not very pronounced. It's a standard hi-cut filter so I might be able to experiment with cap and resistor values, but desoldering components on stripboard is a pain, so I probably wont.

I was planning to build a Guv'nor, but this pedal can (just) get into similar territory so the guv'nor might be a while. Anything with 5 knobs would probably go into a larger enclosure too.

Also, I have more of those knobs but they are for knurled shafts. The only A1M pot I had isn't knurled. I could drill out the knob a little so it fits and then glue it on, but that will make future repairs harder. Maybe just a small spot of CA ...

Next pedal plans are to finish the LHS buffer and build the compressor kit.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast