Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TL- sanding step by step

TL- sanding step by step

Hi,
    i just got a TL-1, i don't even know what kind of wood it is.
    I'm planning to stain the body with some powder stain that you mix with water, i'd like to obtain a light red mahogany color.

I'm a bit lost with the sandin process, how many times and with what kind of grit specialy with the US and EU grit designation standard, i've read so much forums and post that now i'm lost.

Can someone tell me how do i sand my guitar with EU designation?

... I have similar questions for my DMS-1 !

If it's the straight TL-1, https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/...ic-guitar-kit/, then as teh description states, it's a basswood body.

Basswood is pretty soft, so be careful with it as it will dent easily without a finish on it to harden up the surface.

Sanding has two purposes. 1) to get the surfaces (especially the top and rear on a Tele) as flat as possible to make a commercial-level finish possible and 2) to remove any tooling marks (mainly on the curves on the sides).

For 1), using double sided tape to stick sandpaper to a flat piece of wood, or a bit of flat metal helps you get the flattest overall results. For 2), its freehand sanding, or sandpaper wrapped or stuck to a tube, but its definitely the hardest of the two processes.

Keep going with one grit until you've got rid of all the marks from the previous grit's sanding. If you're struggling to get rid of any deep marks, you need to do back at least a grade to something coarser.

If staining, you don't want to go too fine with your grits so I'd stop at 180 before staining. US and EU/P grits are the same up to 220/P220, so no need to worry at this stage. After that, the US grits are finer for the given grit value. Comparison chart here.

https://www.thesandpaperman.com.au/a...ion-chart.html

4. Liked by: Joe Garfield

ok so i'm in quarantine with only 80, 120, 240 and 320 sandin paper (EU) what can i do whith that!?

i guess i'll just do a quick shot at 80, then a long one at 120 until everything is smooth then i stain with with soluble in water powder stain.

Am i corect for now?

I'd like to put a dark stain, then sand again at i don't know what number and after apply a lighter stain.

ok so i'm in quarantine with only 80, 120, 240 and 320 sandin paper (EU) what can i do with that!?
    Simon gave you a good explanation and advice in his post above.

I wouldn't use the 80 grit on Basswood. As basswood is quite soft, you'd likely create more work for yourself by leaving scratches from the coarse abrasive.

If you have any tool marks (left behind from the manufacturing process) 120 is probably a good starting grit for the body.
    To reiterate what Simon posted, that would be way to coarse to touch the veneer with.

What I use on veneer, are fine grade synthetic sanding pads. I know you're on lockdown, but you can get them online. Alternatively, you can use steel wool on the veneer to smooth it. Just be sure to clean off all the little steel wool bit that come off before you apply any finish. Tip: use a vacuum cleaner with a hose and brush attachment.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

7. Liked by: Joe Garfield

Yep good advice for sure, i'm starting today sanding with 120 untill everything is smooth! let's go!
    By the way i love the guitar on your avata, it's axactly what i'm aiming for, now i'm just a bit pissed that someone has it already... now i feel i'm just making a knock off.

By the way i love the guitar on your avata, it's axactly what i'm aiming for...
    Thanks! I'm sure mine similar to someone else's somewhere!

Also, I just realised I mentioned sanding veneer in my last post, sorry, got my threads mixed up! So ignore that part of it!

However, one of the great things about building your own guitar is it will always be unique in some way.
    Even if you do a red stain tele with a maple fretboard, it's not going to be the same as mine no matter what, and there's lots of ways to get creative and give it your own stamp.

Besides, any of us that has built a ST or TL has also made a "knock off" to a certain extent.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

is started to sand with my orbital sander but i realised something was off...
    https://ibb.co/VvGSk9Z

I started sanding at 120... it was just a nigthmare, there is some kind of coating on my guitar body , it takes forever to remove, i had to remove it with 80 grit paper, and even with this there is some parts that are so anoying to sand.

it's almost done but i'm exausted.

Spent 3 hours sanding and sanding.
    Finished at 240.

https://ibb.co/NsRSHPm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast