Thread: PRS-1H Semi-pre-wired pickups help!

PRS-1H Semi-pre-wired pickups help!

Hey folks, hope you're all staying safe in these interesting times!

I'm working on a PRS-1H semi-hollowbody and I'm about to get started on soldering. It has 2 humbuckers + 2 tone pots + 2 volume pots and a 3 way switch with the kit. I've been examining Pitbulls own wiring diagram for this configuration (I understand this is a generic diagram but thought it would apply here)

My issue is that the pots are prewired together, which I'm assuming is to make life easier but now I'm just more confused.

I've uploaded a bunch of pictures so you can see what I'm seeing, let me know if you need anything clarified. https://imgur.com/a/g5slwij

Each tone pot is soldered to a volume pot (yellow + red), then the wires from each volume pot are soldered together with an additional black wire, I'm pretty sure this black wire is to be connected to the output jack.

All of the ground wires from each are soldered together here too, should these 3 grounds be soldered to the ground of the 3 way switch?

Where should the live + ground wires of the pickups be soldered to? The back of their respective volume pots? (bridge/neck).

Do I also need an additional wire to ground the output jack + bridge volume pot, as suggested in the diagram?

Thanks in advance for the help! Once again here's the images: https://imgur.com/a/g5slwij
    Last edited by calum-gathergood; 05-04-2020 at 04:27 PM.

Mate, are you sure it's got 2xVol and 2xTone pots? The PRS-1H kits only have 1 X Volume and 1 X Tone unless you really they have recently changed. Do you have 4 pot holes or 2, plus a switch hole? Any more photos might help us.

More of the body and more of the pre-wired harness please. Mine didn't come pre-wired and I feel you may have received the wrong components for your specific kit. I'm more than glad to be wrong, so more photos would help. Even if you can embed your links here.

Cheers!

Thanks Bakersdozen!

So this kit is a bit different from the current one on the pitbull website, I don't think the white binding exists on the one available right now. It has 4 pot holes and a switch hole. Here's the initial pic from when I got it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	34378

Here's the wiring rig. 4 pots already soldered with a live wire attached too (the black one)

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	924.6 KB 
ID:	34379

Current setup

Name:	close up.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	34381

Cheers
    Last edited by calum-gathergood; 05-04-2020 at 06:13 PM.

Mate, are you sure it's got 2xVol and 2xTone pots? The PRS-1H kits only have 1 X Volume and 1 X Tone unless you really they have recently changed.
    BD, my PSR-1TS kit from 2018 was 2 x 2 and the current PRS-1Q is 2 x 2 also.

Anyway, I'm having trouble seeing exactly what's what in the photos, but the white lead from the pickup(s) goes to the outer lug(s) of the volume pot(s). The braided wire(s) soldered to the back of the volume pot(s).

The 3 wires pre-soldered together are indeed your switch connections. The outer switch lugs are connected to your respective neck volume/bridge volume pots (red & yellow wires - your choice, just be sure you follow the correct signal path for each).
    The centre lug on the switch gets connected the tip (+) lug of the output jack via the white conductor of the "black" wire. (follow me?)
    The braided wires soldered together goes to the ground lug on the opposite side of the toggle switch.

Yes, you will also need to ground the bridge via a connection to one bridge post and the back of a pot that is already grounded via the interconnected wires on the back of the four pots as per diagram (unless you have shielding that provides continuity to all the pots). However, I always ground them collectively regardless of shielding, but that's just my preference.

Hope this helps.

- Mick
    Last edited by McCreed; 06-04-2020 at 06:21 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

All good. Glad now, was a bit confused . Hadn't seen those different variants come up over time. Sounds like you have some sound advice from McCreed there too

Thanks for all of your help McCreed!

You've verified my thinking, I just need to pick up some extra wires for grounding of the pots. I really appreciate your help, thanks mate!

No worries. That's what this place is all about!
    Glad I could help.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...