Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ST-1JR Lead Plug

ST-1JR Lead Plug

The answer is probably obvious but I can't see anywhere for the lead jack fitting on the ST-1JR 3/4 kit.

Can anyone point me to where it should be mounted?

Thanks

Mike

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    There should be a pre-bored hole on the 'bottom' of the guitar for it to be mounted into similar to this:

Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Unfortunately not. The kit comes with a jack like that (not the usual jack for an ST) but I cannot see where it would be mounted. On a full scale ST the jack is usually situated behind the pickguard, but this is 3/4 sized and the body doesn't have a cavity there for a jack.

My current kit (different to yours) didn’t come with a pre-bored hole so I just drilled it myself. If you have a guitar stand, I’d suggest putting the body on that and mark out a hole in a position where it doesn’t get in the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SamSquare View Post
    My current kit (different to yours) didn’t come with a pre-bored hole so I just drilled it myself. If you have a guitar stand, I’d suggest putting the body on that and mark out a hole in a position where it doesn’t get in the way

I guess that's the solution. The Squier Mini Strat has the jack at the side so this must be the same. It'll have to be a largish hole to accommodate the jack. I'll take a deep breath and give it a try, unless someone else has a simpler alternative?

The only other solution to a side-mounted jack and hole, is to see how much cavity space there is, and whether you could mount the jack on the pickguard behind the tone control. You'd just unscrew the jack socket from the jack plate, then you'd need to drill a much smaller hole than before to mount it. But it all depends on the amount of space left in the cavity to fit it.

A right-angled jack would be the best type to use with it like that.

It's not that big a job to drill a hole in the side though, but does depend on your DIY level of confidence.

BTW, my Squier mini Strat has a standard Strat style jack plate front mounted. They seem to have moved the position fairly recently.

I wouldn’t have thought the cavity would be deep enough for the scratchplate to accommodate a perpendicularly inserted jack? Hence why the traditional strat jack goes in at an angle, unless maybe some sort of spacer arrangement could make more room but that feels like over engineering when you can just drill a hole in the side

Good point, so well worth checking!

On my Strat Mini, it could be done, with approx 1cm of wood left between the necessary cavity depth and the rear of the guitar. You may have to drill out the bottom of the cavity slightly to do so, as it's too much hassle taking the pickguard off mine to check.

But the PBG kit may have a thinner body than my Strat Mini, so if emviar thinks its possible and wants to go that route, then definitely measure first - and double check.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stjr.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	343.4 KB 
ID:	34377
    I thought about mounting it on the pickguard just behind the tone knob but it would be a very tight squeeze. So I think a hole on the side corner, opposite the final pick guard screw may be the best place.

Totally leftfield suggestion but is there any reason why not to install a 3.5mm jack (or even an RCA) in the scratchplate then just put an adapter on the end of your TS cable?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast