Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual builds 2020

A bit of progress today. This time on the strat.

Got my metallic silver base coat and two coats of clear on. (that's the "clear" clear)
    Next is to start the trans blue coats. I'm still playing with tint ratios, but I think I'm close.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silver ST 1 1k x 785.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	34626

I'm giving the LP (behind the strat) another 5 days, then I'll start cutting back and polishing.
    I've done something on, or related to, one of these nearly every day since I started this thread (17 days ago) but it sure doesn't look like much progress. Some of that time has been experimenting, testing and some minor shop improvements though.

Still a way to go with neck stuff, but once that's done, it will just be assembly and set-up. I already have all the hardware and electronics for both!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

More forward movement... albeit slowly.

I got the final coats of trans-blue on today, following a gun malfunction on the weekend and subsequent levelling.

The end result isn't what I saw in my head originally, but as far as an experimental process for me, I'll call it a success.
    I pictured a deeper blue. I learnt the depth of colour in the cup does not equally reflect the atomised paint layer going down.

Despite all my test mixing and spraying, I now think I should have gone even heavier on the dye in the clear. This is even after doubling my test mix ratio. Oh well, live & learn.
    I still can't seem to get perfectly smooth coat yet, so do have a bit of orange peel to level out once cured, but completely manageable.
    It will polish up just fine.
    Between having to re-spray and build up coats to get the depth of colour, there is a sh**-tonne lacquer on there. No fear of sand-through on this one!

The photo doesn't show it, the blue tinted clear over the silver metallic actually creates a bit of a pearlescence that I wasn't totally expecting. Once I have it levelled and polished, I'll take some close up photos that will hopefully come through better.

Name:	New Blue.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	35072

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Wow that's a great blue!

Getting a perfectly smooth coat out of the gun is incredibly difficult with lacquer. The right thinning and spray conditions (ie booth with extractor fan and temp control) go a long way, but even then you need to do a pretty heavy cutting compound pass before polishing. The best way is to use 2 pack, but you really need a good p2 mask and to be set up for it. Great off the gun results though.

I'm resigned to just cutting back and polishing after using rattle cans at the moment. After spending a lot of my childhood and teenage years prepping and painting cars, a guitar is such a nice step down in terms of area to cover.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Agreed, that is a fantastically rich blue. I love it!
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Thanks guys!

@ Sonic, yeah my conditions are not ideal as I'm essentially spraying outdoors. I'm fortunate that I at least have a good size shed that I set up "spray tent" just out of the roller door. It helps as a wind-break and keeps the over-spray out of the shed (mostly).
    My biggest problem lack of experience. I only do 2-3 guitars a year so there's long breaks between paint sessions, and it get expensive just blowing paint to practice.

My motivation for switching to a gun from cans is not being limited by available colours. Plus I haven't had any of the adhesion problems I sometimes encountered with rattle cans.
    Despite my imperfect finish with the gun, then end results have been significantly better too. I still go into it knowing there will be cutting & polishing, but overall happier with it.

I have thought about trying one of the new "green" 2-pack products that have come out, but need more research.

Cheers

And sweet decal on the LP headstock too mate.
    That's not a decal... that's an inlay! (wink-wink)

OK... finally back moving on these builds...

Wet sand & polish on the LP-ish thing. Got a bit of sanding/polishing on the neck to do, then I'll begin assembly.

These two are definitely the slowest builds I've ever done. Not that they've been difficult, just other stuff popping up and a series of motivational slumps
    At least it's smooth & shiny now!

Name:	Candy Red Pearl Polished.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	270.0 KB 
ID:	36139

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    OK... finally back moving on these builds...

Wet sand & polish on the LP-ish thing. Got a bit of sanding/polishing on the neck to do, then I'll begin assembly.

These two are definitely the slowest builds I've ever done. Not that they've been difficult, just other stuff popping up and a series of motivational slumps
    At least it's smooth & shiny now!

Name:	Candy Red Pearl Polished.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	270.0 KB 
ID:	36139
    Looking good. What's the eletronics plan?

Looking good. What's the eletronics plan?
    Thanks BD!
    It will be a little different in that it will have Fender single coils in it!

A Custom Shop Twisted Tele neck pickup and a Custom Shop Texas Special in the bridge.
    Standard 3-way switching: N/NB/B with master volume, master tone.

I suspect this might a naturally bright instrument, so I'm considering going with 100 or 150k pots.
    I'll have to try it and see where it wants to go. I'm leaning towards calling it a Les Tele, but maybe a Tele Paul...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast