Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: May Guitar of the Month

Looks amazing!

So here is my first build a TLA-1 kit.

I wasn’t going to submit this after seeing all of the incredible entries so far but figured that it would be worth it for the honest feedback that I can apply to future builds

This is an Ash kit with a walnut stain finished with Tru-oil. I was originally going to keep it satin but after seeing the potential sheen I decided to see how I would go with attempting a gloss.

Upgrades to the kit were:

Grover locking tuners
    Tusq nut
    Fender Twisted Tele Pickup set
    3ply pickguard
    Wilkinson bridge with compensated saddles
    Schaller Strap Locks
    CTS Pots
    Oak Grigsby Switch
    Switch craft jack
    Electro socket jack mount
    Recessed string ferrules

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Liked by: Simon_B

Nice and shiny! Great job man!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Wow, just fantastic stuff this month. You guys are amazing.
    What Did You Play Today? ~PJS~

Build #1) KH-1 - November 2019 GOTM

Quote Originally Posted by Eldarknessness View Post
    Built this for the lead singer of my favorite band, Night Moves. Did ivory inlay in Ebony veneer on headstock. Had to cut new holes for stacked P90's to fit. He really wanted the chrome dog ear covers. Airbrushed the finish. Had a great time building. Learned a lot about how to build and fine woodworking in general. Link to the video if you wanna see. Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zrVgP5Dewg
    That's beautiful and that's got some work in it well done sir👍

Comp closed. New one soon.

This guitar is incredible. Well done, love the front to back differences and the stain on the neck. Really impressive kit.

Sorry all - work and home life have gotten the better of me in the last week so haven't had a chance to post the results....

So to the commentary - massive month. More than a couple amazing builds - from awesome bursts, amazing flame tops and stunningly finished guitars - we had a bit of a logjam at the top...

Gonz - TL1-TH -
    Nice gentle burst goes nicely with the top. Decked out in gold bling makes it all the more special. Great work.
    Interesting and appealing subtle transition/burst on the top with a great colour, and good to see that colour continued on the headstock and back of the neck. The colour on the back of the body is nice, but doesn't quite work as well with the top and neck to my eye. The gold hardware suits the top nicely.
    Looks real nice. Love the custom plates. Would like to see the full set of photos though.

DRusso72801 - AGB30 -
    Hand painted R2 – amazing work – there are some special guitars here this month, but this takes the cake for me in the I’ve got to pick this one up and have a look at it stakes.
    The 'rebel bass' comment sums this up perfectly, it's awesome. I love a white finish continued on the neck etc. and the hand painted graphic is fantastic. Great hardware upgrades and excellent overall result. The thumb rest looks a little too white in the photos, needs a bit of use to darken it slightly.
    Insane paint job. Really impressed. Thoughtful customisations. Well executed all round.

Mike.L's TL-1 -
    Beautiful finish and depth of colour. Awesome work.
    What an incredible looking finish - it just screams time, effort and attention. Strangely, it's the fretboard that really does it for me, love it. Although, it may be a touch too dark and vintage for the rest of the finish. The headstock shape works with the colours to give it a really aggressive feel. Stunning build.
    Another great finish. Not my favourite headstock shape for this style of guitar though.

deepeejay's HB-4 -
    Lovely golden orange hues in this one – would love to own a bass like this one! Beautiful work.
    Classic looking bass. I love the finish on the top (excellent flame) and back and the contrast with the sides. Looks great. Angled tuners look fine as does the absence of a TRC, but a logo/decal would have been nice. Needs a drop of something rubbed into the bridge saddle block, looks a touch raw and dry compared to everything else.
    Great job. Looks amazing. Really made the most of this bass.

Gshowell64's IB-1S -
    Burst from yellow to red / brown / black is flawless and then repeated on the headstock. Amazing and looks the business to play.
    Fantastically wild transition, especially with the matching headstock. Great colours. Looks like there may be some glue traces on the edges of the top and I wish the back had the same transition, that would have been truly epic. Nice upgrades and it makes it look like a whole lot of pickups with all those rails. Great build.
    Amazing colour transition on the front. Really well done

Elderdarknessness ES-1 -
    In a month of special guitars, hard to go past this one. Love the level of detail and the level of the burst. Overall stunning guitar that would be pride of place in many collections.
    Beautiful classic looking build, although we lose some of its glory with the dark background of the photos. Would love to have seen the back. Beautiful finish and nicely modded to achieve the desired result. Really special build.
    Near perfect sunburst. Looks incredible. Would love to see it in full light as well.

Ed_guitar's DJB-4 -
    Well decked out Jazz bass looks the business – nice finish and all seems to have come together beautifully here in a simple, but awesome guitar.
    Definitely a month of epic finishes. Fantastic looking white pearl, although it looks like a touch of ash grain contour is showing through on the back. Red pickguard works nicely and its echo on the back of the headstock has really grown on me. Headstock face and shape look fantastic. Great overall look and nicely modded. Excellent build.
    On the surface it looks plainer, but this is a well thought out and executed build. And the finish all around looks amazing.

Trevor Molloy's TLA-1 -
    Beautiful, simple and classic. Well executed and looks like a real workhorse and player. Great job.
    A really beautiful Tru-Oil gloss with classic colours. Clean, neat and classy. Nicely recessed string-thru, although appears to be a slight tear-out on the high e. Volume knob perhaps set a little low on the shaft and dragging on the control plate? Would be nice to see a logo or decal on the headstock to claim your excellent build. Good choice of upgrades. Really nice result, and something to be proud of.
    Beautiful, glassy finish. Very well done. Makes the wood grain a real feature.

And the runner up by the slimmest of margins...
    Elderdarknessness ES-1 -
    Amazing burst and the photo's not bad either. Pretty much any other month and a winner...

And the winner -
    DRusso72801 - AGB30 -
    The level of detail in the paint job and overall effect draws one to this guitar - amazing job DRusso...

11. Liked by: phrozin

Thank you so much for picking the "Rebel Bass" as the winner! To be honest, after seeing the competition, I didn't think I had a chance. The builds this month were simply amazing, so congratulations to everyone! Your kind words are appreciated. I put my heart and soul into this thing and, as my first build, it has sparked a new passion/hobby.

I've already started work on another bass. I like short scale bass guitars, so much to my chagrin I had to go with another manufacturer. I want you and everyone on this forum to know that Pitbull Guitar kits are truly second to none. The quality of this new kit I purchased doesn't hold a candle to Pitbull.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast