Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sgt

There, told you it would!
    sgt2 (8).JPG (51.4 KB)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That is a fine build you are doing - coming along nicely.
    Great engineering skills as well!

The SG/Tele mix looks completely comfortable if you get what I mean.
    Looking forward to the next posts.

A little more work done, I needed to sink the pickup pockets a little more due to the wiring fouling the pups underneath. they are now ok and the wiring all checks out. Also I needed a little neck pocket correction (mainly cosmetic) so have done that too, a little more sanding needed though
    sgt3.JPG (120.4 KB)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sgt3.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	34837  

Got a bit done now, One coat of beetroot (a bit pink so far!) I decided to assemble as I had all the parts (with the exception of string trees which I forgot) I wanted to see if it all came together ok before committing to finishing. I was nervous as this is my first 6 string. Using the test mentioned elsewhere using a test meter to check pick up phasing, I found that mine were out of phase. As it has been a make it up as you go along project, I decided to put an out of phase switch in between the Volume and Tone pots, which was relatively simple. I fabricated the back wiring cover from 2 mm brass sheet and put a ground post (black at the moment, not having a brass one to hand) Its a good Faraday cage. Looking at the back of the guitar I decided that after finishing ,I will make a brass neck plate to match.
    I temporarily wired the instrument and strung it with Ernie Ball 10's (this was when I discovered the lack of string trees doh!) I then proceeded to set it up and was pleasantly surprised to find that it all went fairly easily, the action is fairly low, no buzzing and intonation is spot on by my e tuner and my ear. The big moment, plugging it in and it is free of hum, admittedly using one of my favourite amps, the battery powered Pignose. A full test will put it through the AC30 Later. The only adjustments needed were some pole screws on the P90, for some reason the G was really loud (cheap parts I guess) I may replace that pick-up with a better one in due course. Having said that it has some great sounds and will, I am sure repay further experimentation. The out of phase switch definitely adds another dimension. All in all I am happy with how it has turned out playability wise, I will let it rest strung for a while to check everything is stable then take it down and hopefully get a good cosmetic finish
    Pictures, 1. strung and set up, 2. the back, 3. bridge cover fitted and successful test!
    sgt4 (1).JPG (94.3 KB)
    sgt4 (2).JPG (86.5 KB)
    sgt4 (3).JPG (117.4 KB)

Name:	sgt4 (1).JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	34878   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sgt4 (2).JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	34879   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sgt4 (3).JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	34880  
    Last edited by impala59; 05-05-2020 at 06:31 AM.

Very cool! It sounds like it's been pretty smooth sailing on this build.
    Look forward to seeing how it finishes up. Great hybrid concept.
    Last edited by McCreed; 05-05-2020 at 07:11 PM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

You probably only need a string tree on the high E and B strings. It's best to do without if you can - less overall friction and so better tuning stability.

My G&L Climax has a F-style headstock (gee, I wonder why?) and no string trees. Of course it has a locking nut to go with the Floyd, but I have had the Floyd blocked solid for years and took the lock nuts off for simpler tuning. I don't get any buzz or sustain problems with the higher strings. So yes, you can sometimes do without those happy little trees.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    You probably only need a string tree on the high E and B strings. It's best to do without if you can - less overall friction and so better tuning stability.
    Whoops! I panicked a bit last night and called a workmate who has boxes of such things. Met him this morning and fitted as soon as I got home and before logging on (I did put a little graphite in the slots though) the D and G tree sits higher than the B and E. Also took another pic without flash as that seems to make the chrome look black, I suppose my photography is on a par with my playing!
    SGT5 (4).JPG (63.4 KB)
    SGT5 (10).JPG (82.4 KB)

Name:	SGT5 (4).JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	34885   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SGT5 (10).JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	34886  

Your guitar is looking great, I like it.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

The beetroot natural stain seemed to have reached a level where it would not darken further so I proceeded to Danish oil. This oil has a natural amber tone so I am hoping that it will subdue the pinkness. Seems to be a constant of my builds, hoping for the best! We shall see. What I thought at first were saw cut marks on the front seem to be in the grain, very odd wood, I attached a piece o scrap in the neck pocket as advised on another thread, certainly helps to control the piece while oiling. (Colin2121)
    oiling (2).JPG (88.9 KB)

Name:	oiling (2).JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	35222  
    Last edited by impala59; 20-05-2020 at 05:54 AM.
    Guns, Guitars, Bikes and Cars and the love of a good woman who allows me to indulge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast