Thread: SCA rattle can Primer Surfacer

SCA rattle can Primer Surfacer

Anyone else that's use this, have you had spatter problems when spraying???

The last 3 times I've used it (all fresh cans) I get spatter.
    I know, you say "then why keep using it?"
    Primarily (get it? primarily?) because I prefer its off-white colour to the Septone gray.

The spatter is easy to fix with light sanding as the primer flattens out pretty well, but it shitz me that it happens at all.

I've tried a few methods attempting to combat the problem, like blowing out or wiping the nozzle every few passes; shaking the absolute bejesus out of the can before the first squirt, and nothing seems to make a difference.

I think I'm finally at the point where next time I'll just buy white primer in a tin and use my gun.

They say the definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    Well, I prefer to be called crazy rather than stupid
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

"Crazy" is a ballad composed by Willie Nelson....Nelson says he originally titled the song "Stupid", but changed it...
    Cliff

Now I know this is bl***y obvious, but I get spatter when I have my finger a fatal millimetre too far over the spray head and it impinges just a tiny bit on the actual spray.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Now I know this is bl***y obvious, but I get spatter when I have my finger a fatal millimetre too far over the spray head and it impinges just a tiny bit on the actual spray.
    That's a legitimate point Jim, but I use a trigger attachment on rattle cans. Have done for quite a while. Thanks for raising it though.

One reason for using the trigger is the dreaded "painted finger tip", the other is I feel I get better control over nozzle pressure and spray angle.

If I had a gun, I think I'd be tempted to use it on everything. Curious why you're using the rattle cans?

I have settled on a rattle can I like, but it has the same problem. It has a ton of solids in it--sort of like a filling primer. What I love about it is that I am on my second guitar with it and I have yet to make it run. First paint I have ever had without making a run. But it does splatter at times.

My paint is "low velocity" which I have learned means I have to get about twice as close as I normally wood. I found out by accident this resulted in less splatter.

I have had a can or two that just had a bad nozzle, but mostly I think it's probably that the solids clump. I have noticed that the tendency is for there to be more splatters after I am about half way through the can. That could be from concentrated solids at the bottom or because I haven't shaken for a bit.

Two things I have read that may help: putting the bottom of the can in warm water before using to help the paint become more viscous. The other is to throw away the can when it is still half full. I don't do either of these things. I sand out the splatters, which tend to level out pretty easily with gentle sanding. I am way too cheap to throw out a half full can...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I have used the very same product in the past (6 months ago) and had the very same issue. I resolved this by placing the can upright in a bucket of somewhat hot water for about 10 minutes. Make sure the water doesn’t go above the cap. I don’t remember the exact science behind it but it really helps with the flow and in my case, prevented it from spattering everywhere. Best of luck with your spatter woes.

If I had a gun, I think I'd be tempted to use it on everything. Curious why you're using the rattle cans?
    In this case it's economics. A 1 litre can of primer $33AU, a rattle can of the same is $12. 1 litre is enough for me to prime about 12 guitars. I only build 2-3 per year and one of those may likely be a natural finish. In the time it would take me use the whole can, it would go off.

I'll use my gun with base/colour coat as I can get it mixed to as little as 250ml (1/4 litre) so there's less wastage. I also use the gun for acrylic lacquer clear coat, and lately I've been using it for spraying poly clear coat as well.
    The poly works out very economical and gives a great finish (when I'm on my game that is )

I have used the very same product in the past (6 months ago) and had the very same issue. I resolved this by placing the can upright in a bucket of somewhat hot water for about 10 minutes.
    Thanks for sharing your experience Joe. I've done the warm water thing with acrylic lacquer (Duplicolor) in the cooler months here.
    Maybe I'll give it a go with the rattle can primer if I use it again.

Economics is why I don't own a gun and a compressor large enough to run it. I could probably afford the gun and compressor. It's the divorce that would be expensive if I bring home any more large, loud tools.