Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Zebrawood Tele - Build # ??? (Lost count)

Zebrawood Tele - Build # ??? (Lost count)

Isolation therapy time. Should be able to claim this on health insurance as psychiatric care.

Just placed my order for DTZ-1 Zebrawood TL (https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/...ic-guitar-kit/). Went with the standard chrome hardware, bone nut upgrade, and threw in a set of Tonerider Hot Classics while I was at it. I'm just planning on hitting this with a gazillion coats of tru-oil and finish it with some renaissance wax. This will be my first kit where I've had to shape a headstock so need to hit Bunnings for a coping saw before they shut down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DTZ-1-004-680x850.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	34312

2. Liked by: Joe Garfield

Good on ya m0j0! Look forward to seeing this progress.

I'll throw a couple of comments out there and you're welcome to do with them as you like.

The headstock can be done with a coping saw (lots of folk here have done it) but if you're going make this guitar building thing a habit, maybe spring for a Jig Saw. You can get a decent Ryobi at B's for 70 bucks (or for $40 get an Ozito).

With the Zebra wood, it tends to run on the heavy side (from what I've been told) so maybe consider doing comfort contours (forearm & tummy) as a bit of weight relief. Also, if you haven't played a tele with them, you don't know what you're missing. I'll never own another standard tele without the contours. (and I don't have a huge gut)

Lastly, if you're truly going for a "gazillion coats of tru-oil" you won't need any wax. Tru Oil will polish up as glossy as you like just wet sanding with Micro Mesh (down to 4-6000 is plenty).
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Coping saw went well for me (apart from some cramping!). Even if I was doing 10 guitars I think the coping saw would be OK since the rate I build would keep things spaced well apart. But if I was doing 10 headstocks a week then jigsaw for sure.

I have always been intrigued by the zebrawood. Didn't know it was heavy though.

I don't believe that it's proper zebrawood, but possibly ash (or similar) treated to give that stripy effect. PBG do at least one guitar with a true zebrawood veneer and it's quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I don't believe that it's proper zebrawood, but possibly ash (or similar) treated to give that stripy effect. PBG do at least one guitar with a true zebrawood veneer and it's quite different.

That’s correct the Zebrawood guitars are Zebrano. They are dyed cottonwood, something like that.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Thanks for all the comments and tips. I got myself a coping saw. Already have a jigsaw in my arsenal but I'm scared it will be too heavy handed and I'm very likely to stuff it up with a tiny little incorrect movement. Think I'd prefer the slow and steady and the accuracy of the coping saw.

After sitting at the Aus Post distribution centre 15km away for the past week, the kit finally turned up to my place. Still waiting for the tru-oil to turn up because I stuffed up and ordered Birchwood Casey Genuine Oil by mistake and I'm not willing to risk experimenting to see if it will work. Might just save that stuff for some odd woodwork project in the future.

Here's the kit just opened up. Sure wish it turned up before that very long weekend with nothing to do.

Name:	20200414_092659_small.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	462.6 KB 
ID:	34538

I love the smell of an unboxed guitar in the morning

9. Liked by: Joe Garfield

I'd be interested to know how much the body weighs if you have a scale that can do that. I do like the look of them.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Been a bit busy building a fence so this has just been sitting in the box for a few weeks, but now it's time to make a start. First stop, cutting out the headstock. Wasn't happy with the first draft so drew a second one with a bit of extra real estate. Glad I didn't just jump in there and hack away.

Name:	20200508_104125_small.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	321.7 KB 
ID:	34919

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I'd be interested to know how much the body weighs if you have a scale that can do that. I do like the look of them.
    I just put the body on the kitchen scales. Body by itself with no hardware etc = 2.24kg
    Last edited by m0j0; 08-05-2020 at 09:09 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast