Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FV-1 Wiring Diagram

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    I don't see a wire that looks like it comes from the bridge. This would usually be from one of the posts. Easy to check without opening up the control cavity. Plug in a short cable, and put a test lead from an ohm meter on the shaft of shaft of the jack that is not plugged in. Put the other test lead on a string. If the meter jumps your bridge is grounded. If it doesn't jump, then try putting the lead on the tip. If it jumps the bridge is grounded but the jack is reversed. Since your pickup covers are metal you can use the same test to make sure each pickup shield is grounded.

Also, you might add some shielding. Even with humbuckers you can get noise when unshielded.
    Thanks Fender,

It is grounded, it's the black shielded cable that runs right through to the jack. Tested with multimeter and that's all fine. It did occur to me that I hadn't shielded the pickup cavities which I'll try to do today as I do have a roll from the last build where I also forgot about shielding those cavities :-D
    That, plus fixing the switch grounding and moving the bridge grounding connection to the back of one of the pots and hopefully it will be sounding better soon.

Otherwise the main culprit is getting the connections swapped over on the output jack.
    I think Simon is onto it there.

What/where is that turquoise wire going to after it comes out of the hole to the jack?
    It disappears behind the pickguard in the photo.

You have 3 wires coming out of that hole as well. Generally speaking there's usually just 2, the positive and the ground.
    I'm guessing you have 2 grounds going to the jack? (1 from bridge, 1 from a pot?)
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Found the issue and fixed it. I didn't read the wiring diagram closely enough and missed the grounding of the outside of the volume pot. Fixed that and shielded all the cavities while I had it open. Moved the bridge grounding to the back of one of the tone pots and all good.

Thanks for your help, guys. Love this community. Now with isolation at hand, I think it's time to order another kit.

Excellent result m0j0! Great to hear.

Now with isolation at hand, I think it's time to order another kit.
    Yep, I have two (non-kit) builds on the go at the moment. Should keep me out of trouble for a while
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2