Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd Build SHB-4

2nd Build SHB-4

Finally gave into months of temptation and pulled the trigger on an SHB-4 headless bass a couple of days ago. Already been despatched by Adam but in the current climate who knows how long it will take to arrive. Will update when it does.

I’ll be watching with interest. What's the plan?

Depends on the wood obviously but i'm thinking of contouring the body and, if it's a nice slab, a red stain. I don't have any red guitars! Will need to look at some kind of poly finish on this one though as tru-oil can send red orange too easily. Probably do the usual pot and cap upgrade but there's not much else that can be done hardware-wise. Will see what happens when the wood arrives.

It has arrived in the UK - super quick! Thanks Adam.
    And is now waiting in customs. I think this may take some time.

P.s. I totally get that this is not exactly the most important thing in the world right now, but, well, new guitar!

Ha, nice one, fancied one of these but as my second build got a P Bass from a UK supplier.
    Not quite as good as a Pitbull one but I am pressing ahead with the build as I can't go anywhere
    and have cleared most domestic chores. The place smells of fresh paint
    I know what you mean about it not being important but we all need to find ways to retain our sanity
    and that is important.
    For once the delivery boys find us all at home and eager for the parcel !
    Crack on and stay safe/well.

Yeah, they can't just wander round with a stack of those 'while you were out' notes...

Will need to look at some kind of poly finish on this one though as tru-oil can send red orange too easily.
    Drew, I know your far away from doing any finishing, but I'll offer this anyway...

I'm presuming spraying is not an option for you if your go-to finish was Tru Oil. If this is the case and you want another wipe-on finish, don't buy wipe-on poly... make your own!

Mix 50/50 mineral turps and your preferred brand of (oil-based) polyurethane and you have wipe-on poly for 1/3 of the price what they charge at a hardware store. That's all you get when you buy branded "wipe-on" poly anyway. Thinned polyurethane.

In good conditions, you can get multiple coats on per day just like Tru Oil. (I find 3-4 coats/day is achievable)
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Spraying isn't really an option so that is a really useful tip. Thanks!

I'm assuming Aussie mineral turps = UK white spirit or turpentine substitute.

Yep, that was my assumption too. Of course the relative prices of turps and polyurethane might be different here...

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast