Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd Build SHB-4

Soon as you drive them out of the showroom.

cheers, Mark.

I took some photos of the electrics in situ but I don't think they're clear enough for diagnostics.

I took some photos of the electrics in situ but I don't think they're clear enough for diagnostics.
    My first thought, based on your previous control cavity photo, would be possibly a solder lug (or something else) shorting against the shielding. Sometimes it's the simplest reason for a fault like this.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Whoa, that sucks. I've not encountered that with poly.

What kind of stand do you have, and what kind of rubber are the pads made out of?

How long did the clear coat set before wet sanding?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to understand what might have happened.

ADD:
    I'm sure the finish and wiring issues are both an easy fix. Just unfortunate and frustrating.

Any photos of the wiring?
    The stand is a pretty generic Fender one, had it for years, no idea what kind of rubber it is though. Clear coat had about 3 weeks curing time since the last coat.

Ok a few wiring pics. First pic is trying to capture everything in one shot whilst still showing all the connections, then we go from front to back looking at each pot and then the output jack:

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    My first thought, based on your previous control cavity photo, would be possibly a solder lug (or something else) shorting against the shielding. Sometimes it's the simplest reason for a fault like this.
    And we have a winner! Just tested it outside the cavity with the old screwdriver trick and getting thumps from both pickups.
    Thank you

[EDIT] But if anyone spots anything else wrong, please shout!

You have had some real challenges with this build with Murphy working to frustrate you at every turn but you have persevered and are nearly there. Great work!
    The finish post is in sight!

Cheers
    Ricky

Yeah, I'm probably going to have to learn how to play bass just to justify it!
    Well, the electrics are (I think) sorted and I've managed to pop out the blob of solder, so it's back out to the garage to fix that, the gap between the pick-up and bridge and then these new marks.
    Think next time I might just go back to Tru-oil...

Before going back to Tru-Oil, think of what you have learned about poly (ie. Make sure it is not water based next time!).
    I may be old fashioned but I have never had a good experience with water based finishes - even household gloss and satin paints.
    The finish is just not as good as oil based paints IMHO!
    Although, having said that, you have got a good shine on yours!

Cheers
    Ricky

Glad you got it working!
    Just a curious question re: the heat-shrinked wires. I presume the red heat shrink are the green & bare wires and the black heat shrink are the white & red?

My brain always goes "black - ground, red - hot" even when a HB positive lead is black. I understand your logic though.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast