Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Build SHB-4

You could always consider routing or chiselling out the other end, to inset the bridge into the body by 5mm, or would that cause problems with string height over pickups?

I think that might take me into that kind of territory - the pick ups are about as low as they can go so I'd rather have the flexibility upwards.
    Also if I was to do that I'd have no excuse not to get the finishing right!

The you just make the pickup cavities deeper, or hand-wind your own thinline bass pickups. All these amazing possibilities to keep you occupied on a cold winters evening.

Or, you know, maybe playing some of them...

So, veneer finally turned up. My fault, ordered in mid-September and misread the delivery date as 23rd September but it was actually 23rd October. So I guess it was early technically...
    Anyway, cut a flat sheet to size then filed / sanded it to a suitably shallow angle:

Spot of black paint and it blends in nicely:

Which brings the strings right down to the fretboard with the bridge at its lowest:

So after setting up I've still got the action a little higher than I'd like (got a high fret at the 10th I think), but I'm not really sure what a good bass set up should be like:

The bridge now reflects the fretboard radius a bit:

So now it plays nicely and sounds ok, the finish is still a mess though. As soon as it goes warm (e.g. from sitting in your lap) it goes all tacky.

Just thought I'd pop back and say hello to folks, and let you know that as soon as the warm weather has reached us I can confirm that, seven months later, the finish is STILL tacky!

Time to get out the sandpaper, rub off the finish and start again then! Hours more fun for minimal extra cost!

That is a bit disappointing for you though.

Good to hear from you, bummer about the finish...

I agree with Simon, the only way to fix it is a do-over.
    If you're still keen on a natural finish, maybe try something tried and true like Tru Oil. It's reasonably low-odour if you're still only able to work in the house.
    Another option is an oil based DIY wipe-on poly with a known/popular brand (don't know if they sell Cabot's in the UK). It can be mixed with a low-odour turps which can make it somewhat more house-friendly.

Sorry to hear of your dilemma. I know the pain of the "guitar finish blues".
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

The front is fine, even in the warm weather, it's the satin finish on the rear and sides that just doesn't want to play. I have another project waiting so when I get round to that one I'll be biting the bullet and making it all gloss. Probably go back to tru-oil as well.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast