Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd Build SHB-4

Write it down and then study the plan. Put it on the whiteboard in big letters. Set regular reminders on your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by blinddrew View Post
    , it seems the grainfiller is just getting stripped out again. Am I using too low a grit (240)?
    Any advice from me on finishing work is kinda like the blind leading the partially sighted, but I do seem to end up needing to use finer grits than most people doing finishing work, maybe you're the same? I'm not confident or experienced with dyes and colouring, but using clear coats I've been happy with the result of putting on a coat of sealer filler, sanding about halfway back to flat, then another coat before sanding more.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Thanks Jim, I ended up doing it again (4th batch of filler) and using 320/400 to sand back as gently as I could. Most of it seems to have stayed in the wood this time but there's still areas I'm not happy with.

Then do it again. They generally say 2-3 applications are needed (though I'm not sure if that's a ploy to sell more grain filler, like the 'repeat' instruction that got added to shampoo bottles).

Yep, when I say 4th batch I mean it's the fourth attempt with two or three applications.
    I'm just putting it down to my usual levels of incompetence.

So, time to try that burst again.
    Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Detail of the burst:

It's not the effect I was going for but actually I like it, it's a bit rough/vintage, so it's staying.

The front is largely going to plan:

So now that the colours are fixed behind a couple of dry layers it's largely a case of building up the finish and sanding through the grades.

Unless I balls something else up...

I've just been spraying a black burst on my ES-3. I could have done yours at the same time if you'd popped over with it. Still got the black in the spray gun if you hurry...

Offer accepted, I'll be over in, well, many hours...

I think most people on this forum would be amazed by how close we live but how long it takes to get anywhere!

Did my first gentle sand back after what must have been half-a-dozen layers of varnish.
    All bloody came off around the edges. Complete balls up. Managed to do a bit of touching up but there are some very ugly bits on the front edges now.
    Beginning to wonder is some kind of spray poly/clear coat might have to be the way to go.
    I am not really enjoying this build at the moment.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast