Thread: V and T bass

V and T bass

My first project a Coban kit V bass ( I posted elsewhere in the wrong section) when I got it all set up I was so pleased with myself, good action, intonation and sound, coupled with it being the most balanced bass I have ever played when using a strap. ( the worst to play sitting down! it needs a Steinberger fold out leg support)
    V bass (2).JPG (114.9 KB)
    The second is a hybrid Telecaster body with a Canadian maple Jazz neck (I slightly reprofiled the headstock TL style) I used budget hot rail guitar pickups in a homemade scratchplate which are just about wide enough for 18mm string spacing. Through the body bridge with a jazz ashtray cover. It sounds fine and the pickups work well. I am still experimenting with wiring and may invest in a more complex control plate (5 way possibly, but am still in the dark a little with this side of the construction. It has super low action due I suspect to the neck sitting deeper in the body than it probably should. I had to rebate the bridge to get the correct height. It has good intonation and is a joy to play. the body and neck /headstock colour was achieved with mixing turmeric with Danish oil, I think it has a nice vintage look. the fret board was treated with mineral oil. This bass also seems to have fairly good on strap balance with little or no headstock dive.
    I am collecting parts now for my next one which will be a telecaster necked SG guitar. I wish I had got into this a long time ago as you can make absolutely anything! Also planning an electric Morin Huur, (Mongolian horse fiddle) Look up Jonon on youtube, my wifes cousin is in the band, great crossover trad/modern
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V bass (2).JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	34197   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	telebass.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	34198  

I like the look of that tele-style unit. Do you get much neck-dive with it?

I'm only speculating but reckon 'neck dive' was the reason the original P Bass
    was shaped like this...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p bass 51.png 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	34204

and not like the Telecaster.

cheers, Mark.

Very little to no neckdive, shaving a little off the headstock, mounting the strap button about 2" along the neck, fairly heavy bridge and ashtray, heavy pickups with steel bases all help adjust the balance The only slight downside with this bass is that I had to set the action slightly higher on the A and D strings so they mirrored the Hot rail guitar pickups curve. When I first set it up the low action caused the A and D to be markedly louder than the E and G. As a first non kit (ok I bought a body, neck and components) build I am really quite pleased with it, I may make another scratchplate with Jazz type pickups to compare but for now it is a good (if a somewhat dirty sounding) playable, and unique bass for less than £70 total cost (I already had the strings but still under a £100)

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    I'm only speculating but reckon 'neck dive' was the reason the original P Bass
    was shaped like this...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p bass 51.png 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	34204

and not like the Telecaster.

cheers, Mark.
    You are probably right, The longer upper horn pushes the strap button towards the headstock to change the centre of balance. in your picture the button is at about the 12th fret, mine, mounted on the neck flat (harder wood than the body) is behind the 14th fret, which because of the body shape is much further from the body
    Last edited by impala59; 23-03-2020 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by impala59 View Post
    You are probably right, The longer upper horn pushes the strap button towards the headstock to change the centre of balance. in your picture the button is at about the 12th fret, mine, mounted on the neck flat (harder wood than the body) is behind the 14th fret, which because of the body shape is much further from the body
    Bonza, makes sense!