Thread: Bass strings on DHB-5F are too short! Any suggestions for super long scale strings

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bass strings on DHB-5F are too short! Any suggestions for super long scale strings

So, I finished my DHB-5F build a little while ago, about a month.

I bought a set of typical Ernie Ball 5 String packet and the strings were about an inch TOO SHORT. By that I mean that the bit where the string gauge starts to narrow, as all bass strings larger than the D string do, was about an inch in front of the nut on the fingerboard side.

With the help of my local Guitar Shop, I found Ernie ball Super Long Scale strings but these are still slightly too short (hopefully, you can see that in the photo)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2700.png 
Views:	235 
Size:	575.1 KB 
ID:	34195

So my questions are:
    1. Has anyone built the DHB-5F before?
    2. Did you have the same length problem?
    3. What strings did/do you use?

I did do a mock build before I fully constructed the guitar. Everything fit into place. The one thing I think that may have been the problem is where the string feed-in holes in the body are placed - they may be too far back. See next photo:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2698.png 
Views:	202 
Size:	645.0 KB 
ID:	34196

The only other way to mitigate this is to have shortened the neck - of course I could not have done that after having received the kit - truss rod and all.

Right now, the Bass plays really well. I'm a bit concerned about the bottom B and that it might be a bit too "clangy", but plugged-in it seems fine.

Also, I set it up for 34" scale length - which it is especially given the movable bridge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by BigJesusTrashCan; 21-03-2020 at 04:35 PM.
    1. DHB-5F

There are 10 types of people in the world.
    Those who understand binary and those who don't.