Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bass strings on DHB-5F are too short! Any suggestions for super long scale strings

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    So really, you're limited by the Planck length as to how small you can fold it. So 1.616×10^−35 m.
    Simon, so ya HAD to go all nerdy on us! Geez!
    1. DHB-5F

There are 10 types of people in the world.
    Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I had the same problem with a string-through four-string. I ended up using these:

Ernie Ball, Super Long Scale* 38.25 or 38.5

I like them reasonably well and they are decently priced. Still, one night I tried to figure out what other strings might fit. Sorry that all lengths are in inches. Here's what I found based on published lengths

DR, Extra Long Scale 40.7

Fodera, Extra Long Scale 39.25

Ken Smith Extra Long 40

Rotosound, Extra Long 39

Sadowsky, Extra Long 39

Thomastik-Infeld, Super Long 39.75

*** 38” Strings:

D’Addario, Super Long

DR, Long

Elixir, Extra Long

GHS, Long Plus

Ken Smith, Long

La Bella, Extra Long

SIT,* Extra Long

Spector, Long

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

But what you don't want are the strings being too long, so that the main part of the string starts wrapping round the tuner post. It's a tricky balancing act!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    But what you don't want are the strings being too long, so that the main part of the string starts wrapping round the tuner post. It's a tricky balancing act!
    My bass has a very similar "problem" to BJTC's...string through, semi hollow with a two point bridge. The problem is especially on the low string (low E in my case) where the tuning post is closest to the nut.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200326_103051.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	34244

The Ernie Balls that are on now are just about in the Goldie Locks zone. Long enough for the full sized string to sit on the nut, but short enough so that the taper begins before the post. But this was my 3rd try. My first try was with standard length strings for a 34" scale that I had hanging around the house. The second try was with a set of D'Addario Super Longs, that I bought because they said they were "super long." They were 38"...which might technically be long enough BUT these strings had silk on the ends. The taper began at 38" but the silk started a bit before that. So, the part with the silk was sitting in the nut. These were tape wound strings so I could not just cut off the silk...which is actually pretty hard to do even on a steel string.

I got the Ernie Balls because they were a little longer than the D'Addarios, and because the MFG told me they did not have silk. That's also when I compiled my list. I did not want to get fooled again by a "super long" "38". And I wanted to have an idea about about what other strings might actually be long enough for my bass.

The string MFG may help but you probably have to ask them...Where does the taper begin? Is there silk? Where does the silk begin?
    Last edited by fender3x; 26-03-2020 at 11:18 PM.

I guess I'm preaching to the converted here but flat wound strings don't like being cut down but I have found rounds to be fine.

I always use rounds on my basses and because I want the heaviest they have I often have to cut 34" strings down for my 30" Yamaha bass.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2