Thread: My first build - Pit Bull ES-1S Model

My first build - Pit Bull ES-1S Model

Day 1 - Just got stuff out and stared at it. Did fit testing without attaching the neck too tightly, so I could remove it again without problems. All looks great. My 2 cats are really interested.

Day2 - Light sanding (400 grit paper). Didn't really need much, plus it's a Spald Maple so had to be careful based on the online directions. Used tack cloth to remove dust. Made my own "logo" emblem with my last name initial "W" by using a scratch awl and metal ruler. Then used a Dremel to carefully widen the lines. Hit it quickly with a torch to make it look like a brand. I practiced a few times on a piece of pine before committing to this, but it turned out nice.
    First coat of Varathane Colonial Maple wood stain. Was careful to mask the binding, neck, etc. Had to make my own pinstriping (masking strips), but worked OK.

Day 3 - Light sanding w/ 400 grit sandpaper. 2nd coat of stain. Had to fix a couple drip spots.

Day 4 - Removed the masking on the binding areas and cleaned up the edges with Q-tips and Mineral Spirits. Followed by paper towel. Use backside of razor blade and finger nail for any tough spots.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Welcome Chris W.
    Bonus points for your enthusiasm! Good progress for 3 days.

I'm guessing you're using "Attachment" for adding the pics, and they're quite small.
    If you use "Insert Image" instead, they'll go in as thumbnails and can be clicked to open and view a larger pic. That way we can admire your work close up!

Cheers,
    Mick
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Cool Mick, thanks!

Welcome Chris, nice work there. Hopefully your cats don’t add any “Kitty Glitter” to your finish!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.