Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sanding an ES-1S?

Cheers Simon
    Will check those things when I get home.
    P800-1000 for removing glue from the top?

I've seen a heap of great finishes where a layer of stain goes down, then sanded, then stain on top of that - looks phenomenomal
    P800-1000 for sanding between stains as well?

And similarly for the Back and sides - P800-1000 for that as well?

Thanks in advance

You'll need a proprietary glue removal product for glue spots if you have any. Goof off is the product most mentioned here, though it does depend on your location as to how easy it is to get hold of. Soft wire brush (brass bristles) helps work it in to the wood.

If you want to try and 'pop' the flame, then yes, a dark stain, rub back, and then your main colour stain. Here, you'll need to be rougher and maybe use something like P240, but gently. Ideally you'd want to use a finer grit, but as I've said before, experience has shown that anything much finer than P240 tends to polish the surface and make stain uptake patchy.

But you've only got 0.5mm-0.6mm of veneer depth to play with, and if you take too much off you'll start to see the wood beneath, so be very gentle with the sanding.

The back and sides are a basswood laminate, but with a figured basswood veneer on the outside. So whilst you wont want to pop those, you still need to be careful with the surface, so always best to be as gentle with it as you can. It's smooth enough for finishing, so a once-over with P800 (or higher) just to remove loose surface fibres, but you could even wait to do that until after staining.

gee whiz great advice thanks

going to do a whole lot of practice runs on some scrap pine to get the desired result before applying to the es1

turns out goof off is available readily here in Western Aus so thats good

appreciated thanks

Is Goof off the same as Goo gone? They do look similar: https://googone.com/

I have a bottle of Goo gone but it looks much like some kind of oil? Not sure if this would work for raw wood too?
    I don't know what I'm doing but I hope I will end up with a guitar

It's not the same product. I don't know how similar it is, as Goof Off comes in a variety of bottles for different purposes. I've never used it myself, and don't know what type people normally use.

I have a can of Goof-off in front of me. Website printed on the can says www.goof-off.com. Looking at the two websites, they look pretty similar. That said, I'd go with the one people talk about to get the results people talk about. Goo Gone may do the same thing...or it may not.

Two different manufacturers though, both American. I could understand having a different brand name on the label in a different country, but not in the same country.

Quote Originally Posted by Woutizmoo View Post
    Cheers Simon
    Will check those things when I get home.
    P800-1000 for removing glue from the top?

I've seen a heap of great finishes where a layer of stain goes down, then sanded, then stain on top of that - looks phenomenomal
    P800-1000 for sanding between stains as well?

And similarly for the Back and sides - P800-1000 for that as well?

Thanks in advance
    Use a 240g aluminium oxide paper (the White stuff) finish with a 360-400g don't sand the maple veneer unless needed always use a block when sanding

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2