Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A Completely Innocuous LP Kit Build

A Completely Innocuous LP Kit Build

[Edit: Amending this to ensure a couple of things are stated: This is a Non-PBG kit. The opinions here are not affiliated with or representative of PBG or any staff. Also will be amending pictures henceforth to be appropriate to this forum, my apologies that they weren't before, and will focus just on technique and so on]

Hello again!

So had some inspiration a few weeks back, and have set things in to motion. Time to put together an LP kit

Obligatory arrival and impressions pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200310_132843 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	519.1 KB 
ID:	34062

Name:	IMG_20200310_133110 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	408.5 KB 
ID:	34063

I'm super duper happy with the Spalt top. Still got some flame, and a not-super-crazy spalt through it.

Name:	IMG_20200310_133048 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	503.2 KB 
ID:	34064

And likewise with the fretboard. I like the grain on it a whole lot.

Name:	IMG_20200310_133128 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	342.7 KB 
ID:	34065

I got a bit concerned by this at first, thought it looked a bit sloppy, but test-fitting the neck in there it fits together and covers it up properly.

Name:	IMG_20200310_133507 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	387.2 KB 
ID:	34066

Yup that's some excess glue alright. Haha

Happy with how it's looking so far though.

In terms of the other details, I haven't locked in pickups yet, but I'm keeping an eye out to see if I can snag a set of Ibanez or PRS pickups second hand, but haven't had a lot of luck in finding 4-conductor ones. Ideal scenario is finding a set of Kiesel Lithiums though. Most of the hardware will just be stock for now, but I'll be going 1V2T, 2-in-1 Series/Split/Parallel for the pickups (since I managed to find an On-On-On 4PDT toggle that used to be in my RGD), and a Series/Parallel for the in-between.

Also going to be trying a different finishing style out. I saw a thread elsewhere on the net a while back about someone finishing their guitar mixing some oil colours with Tru oil, so I'll be working with that idea. I was torn between going Green or Blue, so I'll be aiming for Blue, and if the mixing the Blue in leaves it leaning more towards Green, that'll still be within my goals.

Nice. I keep telling myself if I build another guitar (and I probably will), it's going to be a LP-style guitar.

Top looks nice on yours. Looking forward to seeing it progress.
    What Did You Play Today? ~PJS~

Build #1) KH-1 - November 2019 GOTM

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Nice one, where did the kit come from?

Cool spalty flamey top on that kit. I'd also love to know where it came from. Have fun with it!

Hey guys, I found it on eBay, I'll look see if I can find the store name a bit later

Neck glued, and drying right now:

Name:	IMG_20200313_181619 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	400.6 KB 
ID:	34101

I believe this is the stuff that the other post suggested, and it's what I'll at least be trying to make the blue juice for it

Name:	IMG_20200313_182511 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	248.2 KB 
ID:	34102

If this does go through smoothly and anyone does plan to use a similar method: Gotta be picky with the colours. Some of them are 20 bucks, some are 110. Eep.

Also, not going to go through with the Kiesels at the moment. I'm getting a set of Artist Bullbuckers, and at a later date will swap a set of Kiesels in. Or PRS.

I'm a little concerned about the idea of using oils as a staining method. Artist oils can take years to completely dry out, one of the benefits to painting with them is the slow dry time, which really lets you do beautiful blending. They tend to skin and then take a really long time to completely cure.

That said, being thinned out and using a really good compatible clear coat, I can see it working. I have a tonne of high quality artist oil paint so I'm very curious as to how this pans out!
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

I guess I was a little worried too, but I didn't come up with it myself so that makes me a bit less hesitant. From what I saw last night the Oil more or less acts to cure the Paint faster.

On that topic, I did a couple of quick tests last night on a spare piece of pine I had. Not the greatest analogue for either Mahogany or Maple but I just wanted to test ratios, and techniques. You can do it either by going paint straight on to wood, pushing it around, and then oil on top, which thins it out to more like a stain. Or you can straight mix them.

These tests were small amount of Blue mixed in, large amount of Blue (basically JUST enough oil to mix it in properly). The small amount test does border more on green and isn't much of a colour change, but the large amount looks fine.

Name:	IMG_20200314_162408 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	307.8 KB 
ID:	34116

And this one was Blue on, then oil on top. I think I'll be going with this, but I'm gonna test a couple more layers of oil on top and see what happens.

Name:	IMG_20200314_162411 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	290.6 KB 
ID:	34117

Turns out I can't resist making things purple...

Name:	IMG_20200314_203741 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	406.5 KB 
ID:	34118

God the lighting in my garage is awful... But yea since I had some left over after my Headless kit, thought I'd opt for this.

So it's only the back done purple, and there is justifications for it. 1) I'm not as certain how the Blue will go on the Mahogany, 2) I'm not sure how much that little tube will cover, 3) A darker colour on the back will make the lighter blue pop a bit more, 4) The purple stain I have goes on a bit easier, and will be easier to scrape from the Binding. And 5) I just like purple.

Name:	IMG_20200314_203747 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	353.0 KB 
ID:	34119

S/S/P Toggle hole drilled.

Doot doot first layer of paint on.

I opted to do this by rubbing the paint across, then Tru Oil on top

Name:	IMG_20200315_172435 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	443.0 KB 
ID:	34125

So yea, didn't come out like the Manganese blue that it was, more of a Denim blue

Name:	IMG_20200315_172442 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	357.1 KB 
ID:	34126

Headstock matches pretty decently, bit more than the pictures show

Plan for the next layer is to do it as a mix, rather than Paint then Oil. I think that'll help it go on a bit easier

Name:	IMG_20200315_173021 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	607.9 KB 
ID:	34127

Also gonna be more sensible for a change and prep most of the wiring outside the guitar

The colour scheme is growing on me. It feels really 90's. I used to have a set of these as a kid

and of course the famous 'jazz' design (it'd be super fun if you worked this in somehow)

Always nice to see a different approach.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast