Thread: Lacquer finish

Lacquer finish

I am new to this so a few questions.
    1: can you put lacquer finish over a stain?
    2: what are the steps to applying a lacquer finish? I don’t have any of the fancy tools so everything will be done by hand, so brush on lacquer. Thank you

1: can you put lacquer finish over a stain?
    Yes. Just be sure the stain is completely dry before applying any top coat. Especially if you use a water-based dye/stain.
    It doesn't take long to dry, just don't apply stain/dye and then clear coat 10 minutes later...

2: what are the steps to applying a lacquer finish? I don’t have any of the fancy tools so everything will be done by hand, so brush on lacquer.
    You're best not applying any top coat/clear coat (or base coat) with a brush IMO. IF you're determined to use lacquer, you can buy it in spray cans at automotive parts/supply stores. If spraying isn't possible due to you living environment, I would suggest a wipe-on product like thinned polyurethane or other varnish-type product.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Just be aware that the solvent in the lacquer can loosen the stain, so brushing or wiping does have a tendency to move the stain around a bit. Not normally an issue on a single colour stain, but if you're attempting a sunburst, then you need to be very careful. One reason why spraying is preferred. Get the first coat on without working it in or repeatedly going backwards and forwards.

Once that coat's dried, then you're unlikely to move any stain around, so you can be more thorough.

If you've got any binding, then brushing lacquer with stain in can obviously discolour the binding, so either mask it, or scrape the first coat of lacquer off with a sharp knife if you notice any discolouration.