Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stain Questions TB-4 Bass

Stain Questions TB-4 Bass

Hello,

I am currently working on my first build ever, the TB-4 bass with a basswood body. After doing a lot of research, I decided to go with Wudtone's Azure Lagoon stain. Yesterday I applied my first coat of stain to the body, which was a deep color coat. I have attached a couple pictures after I was done (I apologize for the sub-par pictures, my camera and lighting leave a lot to be desired, so please bear with me). It seems to have gone pretty well, the coat is mostly even, but I will lightly sand back with high grade steel wool before starting on another coat. My question though, is you can see on the left side of the body that there is a stripe that did not absorb as much stain as the rest of the body. Does this seem like a sanding issue, or is it possible that strip of wood won't absorb stain as well as the rest of the body? If it is a sanding issue, is it safe to sand back the deep color coat, or should just that area be sanded and apply more of the deep base coat?

Thank you all in advance for any help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200228_063804581.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	339.0 KB 
ID:	33944   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200228_063821433.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	464.7 KB 
ID:	33945  

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    This is pretty common with the multi piece bodies, there is often some variation as to how well they absorb the stain. Usually it becomes less apparent as the build progresses. Another application of stain will make it less noticable, but its just one of those things working with natural materials.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Also, the final stain colour is affected by the colour of the wood, so if there's a piece of wood with a darker section in it, then the stain will be darker in that area. If you don't like it, then it's what solid paint colours were made for.

But, as Sonic says, just add a few more stain coats and see how it goes.

It's been quite a while since I've updated this, but I decided to get rid of the original stain. The green color looked fine, but ultimately not what I was going for, so I sanded off what I had. The stain I used was a wipe-on stain from Wudtone, and as you can see in the pictures, I wasn't able to get all of the original stain off, especially on the top near the neck pocket. The stain seems to be too deep in the grain.

My goal is to now use automotive paint instead. I have the primer and the color coat for the paint, but my question is preparing the wood for the paint. Should I apply a sanding sealer before I start using the primer? The Wudtone stain specifically could not have sealer on the body, and I don't have much experience with it, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200523_225848946.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	35276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200523_225940686_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	35277   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200523_225927907.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	238.6 KB 
ID:	35278  
    Last edited by c0ffinspire89; 24-05-2020 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Added Pictures

A sealer will help stop the paint from sinking into the body so much, so you'll require less paint layers to get a think enough layer to sand flat and polish. It's always a top up between paying for sealer, and using a few extra coats of paint. Sealer is generally just a thinned-down lacquer of some kind.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for all your helpful answers! Would the type of wood affect how much paint will sink in without the sealer? This is the first time I've worked with basswood, and so far it seems like a fairly dense wood that wouldn't absorb a lot of stain, I'm curious if paint would work the same way. I have very limited workspace, so I think painting will be a rare occasion for me vs. using stain. I'm leaning towards skipping the sealer since it will probably just gather dust after this project

It will still sink in a bit. There aren't any open pores but it's still porous and some bits will absorb more than others. Not a lot. but enough to leave an uneven surface. With a solid colour, you may be better off starting with a can of primer, or primer/filler, which will probably be a bit thicker and more likely to fill the surface of the wood.

Basswood is a bitch to dye with my builds when staining or dying them I only sand down to 120grit it leaves a bit more for the dye to grab on to when I go over it with a clear I use a couple of extra coats so when I'm blocking the body back there's plenty to cover the deeper sanding marks, it's pretty much a must do sand to fine and you'll get a washed out look to it

9. Liked by: Cliff Rogers

Thanks again everyone for the feedback! Phrozin, I'm right there with you, so far this basswood has been the biggest pain to work with. I appreciate the info about not sanding too fine, a washed out look with the coloring I've chosen won't look good at all. My goal is to sand down either tonight or tomorrow and start adding layers of primer. I'll update with some more pictures once I've had a chance to work on it!

It's only been a few days or so since I last worked on this...

Yesterday I got inspiration to try a burst instead of the painting route I pivoted to. This is my first attempt at a burst, so I wanted to go fairly simple. The original reason I went with the Wudtone stain was because of how great the grain looked, so I wanted to go with stain again, but applied conditioner first this time to get an even coating. I'm very happy with how it's turned out so far. It all definitely needs another coat, but overall, not bad!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210111_200242827.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	38774Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210111_200311844.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	38775

12. Liked by: JimC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast