Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tla-1

I think I'd really love to get a professional setup for this guitar as, while its great to play as it is, could do with a bit better action which I'll leave up to the professionals I think (once this COVID stuff is past us!)
    Good work! Nice looking axe.

re: set-up
    Probably no better time to hone your own set-up skills than right now.
    It's a great opportunity jump in and wrap your head around how all the points of adjustment work and how they all affect each other/work together.

Take note of your present "settings" then start tweaking. You can always reset to where it is now, and whilst you can temporarily end up with a foul playing instrument, chances of wrecking it are reasonably low. Just be sure to leave the BFH (big f'ing hammer) in the toolbox!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Good work! Nice looking axe.

re: set-up
    Probably no better time to hone your own set-up skills than right now.
    It's a great opportunity jump in and wrap your head around how all the points of adjustment work and how they all affect each other/work together.

Take note of your present "settings" then start tweaking. You can always reset to where it is now, and whilst you can temporarily end up with a foul playing instrument, chances of wrecking it are reasonably low. Just be sure to leave the BFH (big f'ing hammer) in the toolbox!
    Cheers McCreed.
    I did consider this, and you might be right! I do have a lot of spare time on my hands now

Your bridge pickup could certainly come up a bit higher.

And your control plate seems to be resting on the edge of the pickguard, rather than flat against the body. Something you don't really want as apart from aesthetics, you are loosing some shielding benefits for the control cavity. Something that should be easily fettled.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Your bridge pickup could certainly come up a bit higher.

And your control plate seems to be resting on the edge of the pickguard, rather than flat against the body. Something you don't really want as apart from aesthetics, you are loosing some shielding benefits for the control cavity. Something that should be easily fettled.
    Thanks Simon, I noticed the control plate from the photos too and have adjusted accordingly.
    I'll look at the bridge pickup, cheers!

Thanks Simon, I noticed the control plate from the photos too and have adjusted accordingly.
    Hah! That's happened to me a couple of times.

I've "finished" a build and thought "Yep, done & dusted". Take pics to show it off... and, D'oh!!! Forgot the truss rod cover, or something equally silly (or bleeding obvious when you see the photo!).
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Hah! That's happened to me a couple of times.

I've "finished" a build and thought "Yep, done & dusted". Take pics to show it off... and, D'oh!!! Forgot the truss rod cover, or something equally silly (or bleeding obvious when you see the photo!).
    Haha yep.. a second set of eyes, even in photos, helps!
    It was actually a wire that was causing it to not sit flush on the body.. tucked that bad boy in and its looking much better.

Your guitar looks great. A nice natural finish. Here’s to the terrible solos 🍻.

Great job.

I know it’s a bit scary setting the action on your first guitar. But it’s definitely a skill worth acquiring. Just do it by degrees. You’d be surprised the difference a fraction of a mm can make to playability.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    Your guitar looks great. A nice natural finish. Here’s to the terrible solos 🍻.
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Fretworn View Post
    Great job.

I know it’s a bit scary setting the action on your first guitar. But it’s definitely a skill worth acquiring. Just do it by degrees. You’d be surprised the difference a fraction of a mm can make to playability.
    Thanks mate

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast