Thread: ST 1 wiring

ST 1 wiring

Hi.
    Finished assembly of my ST 1. Only three wires to solder so what could possibly go wrong? Plugged into an amp and have no sound whatsoever. Yellow earth wire was soldered to the bridge as per video. The 2 black wires that go to the out put jack however were virtually the same except one wire had what looks like a dot of white or silver paint on it. So 1 went onto the outer lug and the other to the earth lug. I am hoping that as those wires were virtually identical I might need to simply un-solder them and swap them around?
    The amp is fine and as the lead came with the kit I assume that it is fine too.
    Any tips before I plug in the soldering iron.
    Oh and yes, the amp was switched on.
    Regards
    Moley (Tasmania)

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Hey mate we might need to see a picture. Even if those wires are around the wrong way on the jack it will still make noise, so I'm not sure you have that correct. The inside 'tang' on the jack needs to go to earth. The outside one goes to the middle tang on the first volume pot (in standard wiring).

Anyway, if you can show use what you have it'll be a lot easier to work out what's going on that trying to describe it.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Cool. Thanks, I'll do some investigation and let you know.

Having trouble uploading images. What do I resize the pics to? Do I do a new thread for each pic? Thanks in anticipation

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0400.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	33902
    The video said to attach the yellow wire to the bridge and the 2 black wires to the output jack. (one to the earth the other to the hot lug).

Yep so you have two earth wires going to the jack. The colours vary a bit and might have changed since the vid was made. In this case the yellow wire is your ‘hot’ wire and needs to go to the outer tab of the jack. Swap it with that black wire and solder the black wire to the bridge claw and you should be right.

Thanks mate i'll give it a go.

Thanks for your help Sonic Mountain. All good now. Just as you said, swapped the wires and all fired up beautifully!
    Warm regards.

Great stuff, glad it worked out.