Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GR-1SF Archtop Part 1

Post GR-1SF Archtop Part 1

Hey all, this is my first Kit Build, also my first hollow body, first archtop etc. I've built a few solid bodys from scratch with an eye to one day attempting a hollow body based on this, which I'll tackle one day.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mike Campbell Doozy.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	33889
    My last scratch build was a double cut-away based on a Duesenberg solid. I used all genuine Duesenberg hardware and parts apart from the Schaller roller bridge with adjustable string spread. It was a through body stringing and it played very nicely through my Laney 30W valve amp. I've now cannibalised that guitar to use the hardware on my GR-1SF build and happy that I bought the particular Schaller bridge as the Tune-o-matic type bridge supplied with the kit is patently unsuited for use with a tremolo. I'm intending to also use the electrics from my Doozy build in the GR-1SF too. Completely in the dark whether the components will suit my build. I guess ill have to fill some pot holes or put fake pots in.
    So, off I go - intrepidly - to the great unknown.
    Cheers
    Mike

GR-1SF Archtop - Part 2

This is my materials and components list. Items marked * are my modifications.
    1. Pit Bull GR-1SF Kit complete.
    2. Schaller Roller bridge*
    3. Duesenberg Z Locking Tuners*
    4. TUSQ Nut*
    5. Duesenberg Grand Vintage Humbucker* (Neck)
    6. Duesenberg Crunchbucker* (Bridge)
    7. CTS 500kOhm Audio Taper Pot*
    8. CTS 1Meg Linear Taper Pot*
    9. Sprague 0.022mfd & 0.047mfd Orange drop caps*
    10. Shielded wire*
    11. Switchcraft Gold Mono Jack*
    12. Snail Repellent 50mm Copper Shielding Tape*
    13. CRL 3-way lever switch*
    Use of a particular compnent subject to suitability after testing.
    To be continued....
    Cheers
    Mike

Watching. 🍿
    Cliff

The copper shielding tape won't be much use on this build. It's only of any use where you can create a pretty much sealed enclosure with it. In a hollow body guitar, there's no way to do that. Using screened cables for the longer runs will help, but singles for the short distances is normally fine. But with both pickups being humbuckers, you shouldn't really have any problem with hum (just don't forget to ground the trem).

I've just discovered Pure Tone output jacks. Whilst I've always used Switchcraft jacks before, I'm switching over to these as they are a better jack socket. https://puretonetechnologies.com/pro...tput-jack-gold

All the best with the build.

6. Liked by: OliSam

Thanks for the copper tape tip, Simon. I was wondering if it would be necessary. Will be checking out the Pure tone Jacks.
    Cheers
    Mike

hmmm. For some reason my pics no longer upload. ??

GR-1SF Archtop Part 3

Name:	GR-1SF Primed (2).jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	33922
    Neck glued in.
    Primed 2 coats and sanded

I’m baaack.

Name:	FD02C6A3-F9E3-4280-B27D-52EF55C2078A.jpeg 
Views:	138 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	36999
    Onto the wiring after a few months away from it all.
    Looking at the alternative wiring diagram, it shows a green Cap at the master tone Pot. My package came with 2 tiny brown Caps but not the green. Does anyone know what capacitance the green cap is and the brown ones? Should I buy one to match the green cap?
    Thanks if you can help.
    Last edited by michaelgard; 15-08-2020 at 02:45 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast