Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GR-1SF Archtop Part 1

Different caps, different materials etc, but same effect.

The original kit came with two 'green' 0.047uF caps (marked as 473 on the cap). Running them combined in series, as in the diagram, would give you an effective value of ~0.023uF. A single 0.047uF cap gives a darker tone.

Green or brown cap doesn't matter (up to a point) just have a close look at them and see if they are marked as 473(letter) or 223(letter). 473 is 0.047uF, 223 is 0.022uF. If you want a darker tone use a single 0.047uF cap (or two 0.022's in parallel). If you want a less dark tone like an LP, use a single 0.022uF (or like diagram two 0.047's in series).

Make sense?
    Scott.

EDITED:

Weirdbits beat me to it! But we're on the same page!!!

Green or brown doesn't matter. It's the capacitance value (and tolerance) that is important.

People will argue all day long over capacitor material and "tone" (ceramic, paper in oil, poly-film etc). Life is too short.

Are there no numbers on the caps you have?
    Those numbers are the value code. Otherwise measure them with a mulitmeter and see what they read.

At the end of the day, tone cap value is really personal preference. .022uf and .047uf are most common, but they be anything above or below or in between depending on what you wish to achieve.

With humbuckers, maybe start with .022uf and see how you like it. If the tone is too dark, try a lower value capacitor instead. If your tone is too bright, try going up in value.
    Last edited by McCreed; 15-08-2020 at 03:25 PM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

G’day Shedie, where have you been?
    Cliff

Yo Cliff. Been fiddling around in my tiny 3x3 m shed (it’s actually my bedroom but I live in my living room now). The project has been hanging on the wall for 6 months or so, so time to get soldering. I’m going blind my ophthalmologist informs. All sorts of diabetic problems which will see me in the dark in a couple of years. So gotta finish it. I was going to head up far north Q again this winter but my sweet girl is very poorly and can’t travel. Unfortunately. Vet says to enjoy her while I can. Anyway, hope you’re all well up there.
    Cheers
    Sheddie

I can’t see any numbers but I’m blind as a bat so maybe they’re there. Anyway, I have a supply of .22 and .47 Orange caps so I’ll use one or t’ other of them instead. Thanx for the advice.
    Cheers
    Mike

Yes thanks Scott. Got it. Now to solder without welding myself to a capacitor and rendering myself incapacitated.
    Cheers
    Mike

7. Liked by: Cliff Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by michaelgard View Post
    Yes thanks Scott. Got it. Now to solder without welding myself to a capacitor and rendering myself incapacitated.
    Cheers
    Mike
    Dad joke. 🤓
    Cliff

More like grandad...

Thumbs up Looks grim for this kit now.

Ok. I’m back. I wander past everyday, look at it and think, “will I cut an access hole in the back so I can do all the wiring?”. I’ve decided, yep, it’s the only way to complete the guitar without converting it to splinters out of frustration (a solution I used on a beautiful Ovation Ultra a few years ago when something didn’t go right - don’t ask) which may still happen. Got me buggered how it’s done so I reckon I’ll put the kit cost down to experience and stick with solid bodies from here on.
    I’ll report back after I’ve cut the access hatch. I fully expect the thing will end up on the tip.
    Have a laugh if youse like.

Update on my darling Missy. I had to have her put to sleep three weeks ago. She couldn’t be a little dog anymore as her arthritis spread everywhere and the steroids just made grossly overweight and she couldn’t pee or poo comfortably. The vets kept her comfortable for an extra 6 months but it was a terrible loss and I’m still in deep mourning. We had over 11 years as constant companions. I made a lovely Huon Pine box for her ashes and she’s at rest without pain beside my bed.
    Cheers
    Sheddie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast