Thread: My first build

My first build

My first build! From a kit but I'm really quite pleased with it. With a little tinkering I have a nice action, with no fret buzz, good intonation and, for fairly cheap pickups, a nice fat sound. For the finish (it was not brilliant grain) I used one light pass with ebony stain which picked out what pattern there was, then six coats of Danish oil applied with 0000 wire wool, wiped after one hour then gently passed over the next day with 2000 grit wet and dry and repeated. I finished with two coats of red gunstock beeswax to soften the colour a little and give it a nice soft sheen. It feels great despite being cheap wood and its a big instrument (34" scale)with no headstock drop when using the strap (I may fit a Steinberg lap rest at a later point) It is probably one of the most balanced long scale basses I have played. I am playing it daily to check tuning and tension and it holds tune well and seems to be quite "settled" after only a few days. So all in all pretty happy with this one and looking forward to the next
    Note to forum moderators, I think I put this in the wrong thread, Apologies, please move if possible
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V bass.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	33761  
    Last edited by impala59; 15-02-2020 at 06:06 AM.