Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pickup Wiring

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Pickup Wiring

I am building a scratch build using pit bull and real parts to get my hardware, I was just wondering if it’s possible to wire two tele style pickups to a 2-way mini toggle switch (on-on) just need a yes or no answer.
    P.S A diagram would be nice but it’s ok you can’t find me one.
    Last edited by Bit Confused; 12-02-2020 at 01:02 PM.

Just to confirm, you want just two positions, so that it's either the neck or the bridge that's on, but not both at the same time?

yeah, pretty much, an on-on-on mini switch is also an option, it's just a bit more expensive.
    Last edited by Bit Confused; 12-02-2020 at 01:24 PM.

yeah, pretty much, an on-on-on mini switch is also an option, it's just a bit more expensive.
    For all intents and purposes, a standard 3-way tele switch is an on-on-on switch. What am I missing?
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

https://www.realparts.com.au/electro...ch-chrome.html
    A mini switch is like a smaller version of a standard Gibson style switch, I just prefer the feel of the mini switch over the tele, but I love the twangy sound of a tele, that's why i'm asking the question.

I used those mini switches on my ESB-4, but I got them from a general electronic parts store rather than a guitar shop, often cheaper that way. I liked the look of the levers on those against the more common round ones.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Parts are hard to get and expensive here in Australia, the thing you’re looking for is usually cheaper online.

Hi mate, consider a blend pot. But as far as parts here in Australia. Try Australian luthier supplies.
    They are fantastic to deal with. I'm in remote Tassie and you can't get squat here. So I use them all the time. P.S Seymour Duncan wiring site will answer any wiring questions.

Yeah, I'm in rural NSW and it's hard to find anything here, Also, how does a blend pot work (I'm pretty new to these things, all the guitars I own are pretty strait-forward controls)

Assuming you want an up/down switch position, with down being bridge and up being neck, then you'd wire it like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InkedSwitches2_Diag_4.gif 
Views:	151 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	33744

With the pickup ground wires going to the back of the volume or tone pot. DPDT on-on-on switches come in two types, but it doesn't matter which one you have for this application. Just strip the pickup signal wires and the wire to the volume pot back enough so that you can solder across both sets of terminals. Otherwise everything else will be standard Tele wiring.

Obviously you'll need to get a blank control plate so you can drill the holes yourself in the positions you want. You may want to consider a 'volume, switch, tone' arrangement for best control accessibility rather than the standard 'switch, volume, tone' arrangement.

Note: wire colours used above are just for clarity and are not meant to be the actual pickup wire colours.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast