Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Bare bones no upgrades PBG build. Maybe?

Factory did a great job on that body, it seems like it is only a 2 piece, the grain structure really matches up well.
    I look forward to seeing where yours ends up! I'm still trying to manufacture a wider than normal radius block for the fretboard!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdBits View Post
    The stock pups are 4 wire, yes? In keeping with your ‘no upgrades’ policy you could try a spin-a-split layout on the stock tone pots. Tone at 10 splits the pup, ~8 gives full humbucker, and then conventional tone down to 0.

Just to satisfy that upgrading itch...
    Nice idea....how do I do that?

I soldered up the pots and capacitors yesterday....using the included wire and solder...but can do it again.

Actually they are five wire pickups....black...green and bare together...red and white together. So a total of five wires as two pairs and a single.
    Runner Up G.O.T.M. November 2020. Custom SHB-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2018. MMB-5

Winner G.O.T.M. March 2018. JBA-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2017. BG-46

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Factory did a great job on that body, it seems like it is only a 2 piece, the grain structure really matches up well.
    I look forward to seeing where yours ends up! I'm still trying to manufacture a wider than normal radius block for the fretboard!
    It is actually four piece...but really well done.

I have filed out the jack socket so the barrel actually fits....but mine is not long enough to really put the nut on...may have to do something else.

My effort at the control cavity cover recess is not as smooth as yours....but it does the job.

I made my neck joint a lot more gradual and tapered than the sudden change at the neck joint.

Bit embarrassed at my finish at the moment....hmmmm....letting it hang whilst I go back to work.

Will see what I have when get back home.

Golden teak inner...jarrah around the edge and mahogany stain inside the jarrah between that and the golden teak.

Due to the heat here today...the body has had four coats of Fine Buffing Oil and is bone dry....wow.

I have done one coat of Tru Oil on the neck....will put the decals on after working week is done. Then decide if I continue with Tru Oil or do the neck with Buffing Oil and wax.

Quote Originally Posted by wazkelly View Post
    I have already posted how to do split coils with push pulls on these PUP's and very simple to do.
    Trying to only use kit items on this build...no upgrades.

Read your thread....nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    Yeah, a wiring change isn't a hardware upgrade.... I'd 2nd Weirdy's suggestion.
    I think I shall. I have asked for weirdies guidance. Nice.

Short on time, so I hope a quick sketch will do...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CC49E832-B286-461B-A530-83E283F40E2D.jpeg 
Views:	142 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	33835

Dotted line is the ground link between the pots, if you’re not connecting them via shielding. And, of course, you will still need a ground wire to your bridge (make certain the black bridge coating is conductive).

Let me know if anything is unclear.

The way it works is when the tone is on 10 it shorts the red/white series link to ground, giving you a single coil. As you turn it down to ~8 it increases the resistance between the series link and ground and gives you full humbucker (both coils). Then as you turn it down further it’s giving you a conventional tone control. Essentially, single coil should give you the ‘brightest’ most treble sound, then humbucker, then the normal tone taking out the treble down to zero..
    Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzbike View Post
    Actually they are five wire pickups....black...green and bare together...red and white together. So a total of five wires as two pairs and a single.
    They are still referred to as 4-wire pickups. The braided screen isn't carrying a signal, whilst the other 4 wires are.

Which doesn't really tie-in with the humbucker single conductor/single wire + screen pickup connection, as the screen is then carrying a signal.

But that's the way the conventions go.

Black = Hot
    Green & Bare = Earth
    Red & White paired but can be separated to do coil splits or other funky things
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdBits View Post
    Short on time, so I hope a quick sketch will do...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CC49E832-B286-461B-A530-83E283F40E2D.jpeg 
Views:	142 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	33835

Dotted line is the ground link between the pots, if you’re not connecting them via shielding. And, of course, you will still need a ground wire to your bridge (make certain the black bridge coating is conductive).

Let me know if anything is unclear.

The way it works is when the tone is on 10 it shorts the red/white series link to ground, giving you a single coil. As you turn it down to ~8 it increases the resistance between the series link and ground and gives you full humbucker (both coils). Then as you turn it down further it’s giving you a conventional tone control. Essentially, single coil should give you the ‘brightest’ most treble sound, then humbucker, then the normal tone taking out the treble down to zero..
    Once again...thank you. Nice idea....I think I will give it a try.

I have never thought about checking the conductivity of the bridge.

If I just gave it a smack with some sandpaper in the area it will contact the wire I would hope I would be good to go.

Back home tomorrow night.

I did not like the colours....going to sand back and just try Jarrah all over....may sneak some Mahogany highlights along the bevel and edge angle changes.

I have already made the wiring harness...and did chop the leads off the capacitors...may have to dig in the box of unused ones.

Cool project, waiting to see the results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast