Thread: Newbie getting ready for first build

Newbie getting ready for first build

Hey everyone, newbie here from straya. I recently picked up my first kit, a TL-1A, which when completed will be only my 3rd guitar. I'm still well and truly in the planning and prep stages of the build and plan on setting up a build diary on the forums once I start on the build proper. I've already been thinking about modifying the TL-1A kit and potential next builds so I figured I should probably sign up for the forums and introduce myself.

Welcome to the forum Malpas. I love my TL-1A and play it nearly everyday.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Thanks for the welcome. I finally started working on the kit. I set up a build diary but it doesn’t have any pictures yet because I’m just in the initial stages of sanding.

It’s kind of funny that out of what I’d consider the big 4 body types (tele, strat, les paul, sg) the only one I originally liked was the sg. I didn’t care for the les paul or strat style guitars and I outright thought the tele was ugly. Then the first guitar I bought myself was a les paul style guitar and now the second I’ve bought is a tele style kit. I was watching too many videos showing off guitars and the tele just kept calling to me whenever I heard it.

Now I’m seriously considering getting a strat style guitar but I think I’ll be going with a bass for the next one. Currently no real plans to get an sg style guitar in the near future though even though it was originally the one I liked the most.

Welcome!

I know that path, I loved the looks of the LP, but pitbull wasn't offering them anymore, wanted a decent kit for my first build and thought maybe prs-style, also a no, ended up with a TL. I think at some point I have said "who cuts out a body from a slab and call it a guitar!" it ended up what I now love about it, no fuzz!

Have fun with the build!

I’m looking forward to having a lighter guitar when it’s finished. The one I have now weighs a ton. It’ll definitely be more comfortable playing this one than the one I’ve got.

Hi there, i am going to start a new build, the TL-1TH, and i am wanting a natural non gloss oil finish, any recommendations?
    Thanks.