Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: First Build - AES-1 AHAHAHAHA

It may require more drastic action, but you can often put the bridge on with the posts with only the very ends screwed in, then screw the posts in a small bit at a time, doing each post in turn. Sometimes it all becomes so tight that you can't move the posts any further, but sometimes you can entice everything to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    It may require more drastic action, but you can often put the bridge on with the posts with only the very ends screwed in, then screw the posts in a small bit at a time, doing each post in turn. Sometimes it all becomes so tight that you can't move the posts any further, but sometimes you can entice everything to fit.
    Thanks I’ll try that now...what’s the more drastic action?

Take a post out, plug the hole and redrill!

You could always try drilling out the post hole in the bridge with a drill just a bit bigger than the existing hole size. That would give you more wriggle-room, but may make the top edge of the hole look a bit rough. Though you could try carefully drilling from underneath, and not go quite all the way through to the very top and see if that is good enough.

Thanks Simon, I reckon you’ve done at least 75% of the work on this build! Haha!

I went for the drilling option and it went well...no mess on the tops and it slotted right on!

We’re getting there now...and yes I’ve got the bug and am planning the next build already!

Great news and it's looking good.

Looks like the fretboard could do with an application of lemon oil. They are normally pretty dry from the factory and it will give it a slightly darker look.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Great news and it's looking good.

Looks like the fretboard could do with an application of lemon oil. They are normally pretty dry from the factory and it will give it a slightly darker look.
    Looking good indeed! Well done!
    Just about to get onto finishing the fretboard on my build.
    Have been tossing up between beeswax, lemon oil, linseed oil or truoil for the finish.
    But settled on linseed oil after much debate and reading... seems like regardless of the choice every opinion will be found regarding each option.
    Goodluck with the rest of your build!

Quote Originally Posted by Scramblermatt View Post
    Thanks Simon, I reckon you’ve done at least 75% of the work on this build! Haha!

I went for the drilling option and it went well...no mess on the tops and it slotted right on!

We’re getting there now...and yes I’ve got the bug and am planning the next build already!

that’s a wonderful look ScramblerMatt, really tasty job there.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

I think I’m done...

It’s certainly not perfect but for my limited knowledge/experience I’m pretty chuffed! Thanks all for the patience, help and advice!

What’s the protocol on the forum re: builds that aren’t PBG kits?

Anyone know how I upload a video...just to prove it works haha!

Really nice. As you say, not perfect, but still great-looking.

There's the Non-Pitbull Guitars section of the forum, so probably best to post a non-PBG build in the general section here https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...splay.php?f=65

You'll have to host a video elsewhere (say YouTube or Vimeo), then use the 'insert video' tool on the toolbar to add the link. Edit the link to remove the 's' from 'https' so it's just 'http' at the start of the address and you'll see the full preview link on your post (otherwise it just remains a web link).

Thanks Simon!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast