Thread: Wraparound Bridge Saddle Pos on Install

Wraparound Bridge Saddle Pos on Install

Quick question, I have a mannmade usa prs style wraparound bridge and looking to drill the post holes.

The saddles seem to have come in some sort of pre set position.

I understand I need to measure scale length from the nut to the front of the saddles. The question is should I move all saddles to be fully forward and then measure or move them all to the middle and then measure? I seem to find different opinions when I search.

Also should I then move the bass side back by 2mm to have a slight angle??
    Build #001 PBG SV-1 Complete
    Build #002 Non PBG PRS Style Semi Hollow Complete
    Build #003 PBG TL-1TB Complete
    Build #004 PBG IC-1 In Progress
    Build #005 SMS 7Q - In Progress

Looking at pictures of PRSs with wraparounds, I'd say that yes, the bass stud position should be moved back by about 2mm.

I'd move the saddles (well you only really need to measure and set the high E-string saddle as this will always be the furthest forward saddle) to near the front of the slots. Looks like there's a good amount of travel available on those saddles. The high-E string should intonate just slightly longer than the scale length, though sometimes it can be very slightly shorter if the string diameter isn't consistent along its length. So you want to allow for some possible forward movement when intonating, but not too much as it will normally all be rearwards. Remember that the grub screws pressing against the rear of the posts allow the bridge to be moved back even further if necessary.

Thanks Simon. I hadn’t even thought of the grub screws providing some extra movement! Been happily building away but drilling post holes always makes me nervous.

Good info from Simon.

I'll just add that it's common to have approximately a 3° angle on the bridge (or tailpiece in your case) putting the E6 (low) end of the bridge slightly further away from the neck.

Doing this is not imperative, but it is a consideration.
    This is usually done as a compensation for the lack of saddle adjustment in TOM-type bridges. There may be plenty of movement on your model to install it perfectly perpendicular. Just thought I'd mention it.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Cool, thanks McCreed. I actually like the look of being on an angle but it has to make sense of course. I've added a pic of the bridge, there is 10mm of saddle movement but 2mm thickness so 7mm of adjustment room (plus the grub screws).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5347.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	255.3 KB 
ID:	33624