Thread: "Blue Heeler" Bondi Blue GR-SF1: Pt1 Aspirations, Procrastinations, and Consequences

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation "Blue Heeler" Bondi Blue GR-SF1: Pt7 A Longer Wait, Cain't Wait No Mo', First Finish

A longer Wait
    Waited another 2 days (10 in total) since the 3rd intensifying, intensely dissatisfying, unintentionally disrupting coat. But it was still sticky. Had a gutfull, so I told mah'self ...

Cain't Wait No Mo'
    ... and thus I hit the top's surface with some aerosol canned eucalyptus oil and a rag. Actually, first I tried using the steel wool. Not effective. It's like peeling those crummy rubberised coatings off headphones and guitar tuners etc. I left the eucalyptus oil on for barely several seconds, and only in relatively small patches. It cleaned the intensifier off nicely, fairly easily. The oil itself is relatively volatile and was being sprayed on lightly and not left to penetrate, I suspect (and hope) that it didn't harm the glues binding the ply layers.

Goodbye, stuffarama-inducing 3rd intensifier coat, and welcome back blu ... !!! Bondi Blue must've given up on ever being seen again ... and that's how it will remain.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200212_110003_#30_sanded_off_intnsfy_top.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	540.4 KB 
ID:	33737

In my internally quelled sub-rage-level discontent I started cleaning up the intensifier from the binding. I actually liked the blue-smoke of a filthy old diesel engine look for my binding. However, it was "inconsistently applied". Namely, accidentally and sloppily. I could've gotten away with it if too -- "if it weren't for those meddling kids" (Scooby-Doo)" -- and if I'd deliberately smeared what came into contact with it immediately.

Tried a blade edge. Surprised it worked to the extent it did. Couldn't be bothered (personality flaw) doing much and didn't have a decent blade for the purpose, so I tucked into it (against wise men's advice) with steel wool and 360 grit. I'm content with the imperfect result -- more on that later.

The eucalyptus oil clean-up left the body feeling nice and dry! Oh, happy day. I felt it time to smear a clear without any fear.

First Finish
    So I applied a thin coat of finishing oil to the body and neck. I am happy with how that turned out. Also. I am a little . I believe I should've bypassed the intensifer altogether and gone straight to the finishing oil. I would have my little "Blue Heeler" (or faded denim jeans) and -- theoretically -- complete the job sooner with much less hassle, frustration, and self-doubt. The finishing oil is a satisfactory intensifier for the Bondi Blue stain kit ... but the kit's intensifier product itself is not suitable (imo) at all.

"Do you have any wise words for other kit builders?", you could mockingly inquire. No. good sirs and madams! I've broken so many rules of thumb, guides, suggestions, good advice, experiential snippets and gentle prods that I consider myself unwise as well as unworthy! I might try to write a "summary of sillinesses", though I've seen elsewhere on this site a good list of "do's and don'ts".

Here are a few of the first finish coats;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200212_121635_#31_1st_clear_coat_back.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	445.9 KB 
ID:	33738Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200212_121655_#32_1st_clear_coat_side.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	283.6 KB 
ID:	33739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200212_121705_#33_1st_clear_coat_top.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	510.6 KB 
ID:	33740

NOTE: Crikey, that top looks ... rustic. Didn't expect to age it 50 years. Further comments in the next thrill-less instalment;

NEXT: Pt8 I Hate It, I Love It
    Last edited by Honkenstein; 12-02-2020 at 11:03 AM.