Thread: "Blue Heeler" Bondi Blue GR-SF1: Pt1 Aspirations, Procrastinations, and Consequences

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"Blue Heeler" Bondi Blue GR-SF1: Pt1 Aspirations, Procrastinations, and Consequences

Hi, All.

First, my apologies in advance to anyone bored by my loquaciousness. Can't help but be wordy. For those of you who endure it, I hope you find the dialogue at least mildly amusing and informative. That's the nice thing about knowing other people's stuff-ups after all!

Aspirations

My initial purchase of this Gretsch-style was motivated by a desire to have a Bigsby-style tremolo arm and trapeze. I wanted it to have chrome hardware and pyrographic decoration; Namely, the famous 'Great Wave off Kanagawa', and finished in blue and tan Dingotone products.

It went wrong from the start, but was all my fault. "What went wrong?", you concernedly ask. "How were you so foolish?", you gently enquire.

Procrastinations

1. I was so cock-sure that I'd start the project immediately that I declined to wait for the chrome hardware to come back in stock (maybe 6 weeks later) and deviated from my original inspiration by substituting with gold hardware. Never mind. It'd still look good enough with gold I told myself ... though I intensely dislike the maintenance of gold surfaces.
      • NOTE: PBG's Adam (PitbullGuitars) very kindly let me have the more expensive gold hardware at no extra cost! Many thanks to you, Adam. *Many* thanks!

2. I lost my 'mojo' and didn't start the project until Jan 2020, a full 2 years later! "Gosh, that's a long time!", you may justifiably say.
    3. During those 2 years, I kept contemplating the pyrographic design. I'm insufficiently skilled at artsy stuff so drew up a paper 'community notice board' request for a capable artist's labour in exchange for some money or the pyrographic tools that I'd buy for the job. Never put the ad up, though I did buy a nice soldering iron to do the pyrography ... but it would take me so-oooooo long because they're simply not hot enough and aren't designed to run at their highest temps for very long. Pyrography step abandoned.
      • NOTE_1: I was intending to get this professional burner which, at the time, I thought was AUD $399 but is currently AUD $299 for the Razertip SS-D10. I might've jumped at $299 back then and may yet (too late for this project!) do so for future projects or to lend to artsy family members; See the SS-D10 on this page, https://suewalters.com/RazertipBurners.html
      • NOTE_2: Use your favourite search engine to source images related to a "guitar pyrography" query. Some fantastic stuff there. Do you personally know an artist who could visually transform your next kit to the "next level"? Wish I did. There are heaps of geet-tars with famous faces such as Roy Orbison et al upon them. The sound-hole's location typically impinges upon the subject's visage with "a ruddy great hole". Therefore, 'good taste' probably dictates that you don't put a "JFK" image on the top. It was in fact in 'bad taste' that I actually mentioned this obvious issue.

Consequences

So I commenced sanding the neck and body this month (Jan 2020) after having resigned myself to zero decoration -- no, not decorated with "zeroes"! -- and deciding upon the "Bondi Blue" stain kit from Dingotone. Real progress at last. I used 360 grit wet'n'dry, but also 1200 grit to smooth it somewhat prior to staining. Let me (kindly) know if using 1200 at this stage was, in general opinions, a twit's approach.

Unfortunately, the neck setting glue had probably expired from being left for 2 years instead of 30 days. It'd never been opened until Jan 2020, but had the consistency of the primary school non-toxic, almond-like smelling, *great-tasting* "Clag" brand glue. Yes, of course I've tasted it, and deliberately at that! I was a kid too, you know. Adam (PBG) advised it was best to get some fresher glue. To enlighten even the younger folk to Clag (though they probably ate it extensively in their own childhood days) see https://images.officeworks.com.au/...clag...150g.jpg

NOTE: Despite my insistence on literally paying for my own lazy-inspired misadventure, Adam very kindly provided me with a new pot of glue. Once again, Adam, dear sir, I am grateful to you.

In the next thrillingly boring (oxymoronic) instalment: Pt2 Real Action, More Disappointments
    Last edited by Honkenstein; 23-04-2020 at 05:51 PM.