Thread: How many wires to PB pickups?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How many wires to PB pickups?

Hi there,

This is my first build and first post to the forum, so excuse me if I'm asking an obvious question. I haven't been able to find anything on previous posts to help me.

I've been slowly working on this PBA-4 build and, when I came to try it out, there was no sound when I play through an amplifier. If I tap on the pickups I can hear that, as suggested in the build instructions, but it doesn't play the sound of the strings.

This kit was pre-wired from the factory, but I wonder whether there should be an extra wire to the pickups? You can see from the attached photo that there is a HOT wire coming from the volume pot to the bridge pickup, and a wire connecting the two pickups, but no earth from the neck pickup back to the pot.

The wiring diagram said "Purple wires may not be required if cavities are shielded and Pots are in contact with the shielding" but I can't see any purple wires on the diagram. I initially interpreted that sentence as suggesting the earth return was optional, since I didn't have one of those, but I've never seen a wiring diagram anywhere else without an earth from the second pickup.

So, is there a wire missing from the kit? If so, can I add one myself? I don't really want to pull the pickup apart to get inside to wire something on, but I obviously can't wire to the plastic pickup cover. What would you suggest I do?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wiring.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	652.0 KB 
ID:	33421   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PBA-4.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	351.9 KB 
ID:	33420