Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Build #2 - Doublecut custom

Build #2 - Doublecut custom

I didn't do very well keeping a build diary last time so will try and be better for this one.
    This is a JRM-1DC but with some customisations, notably:
    25.5" scale
    Pickup in the neck position
    Quilted maple veneer with binding on the top
    Maple fretboard, mahogany everywhere else.

I think I'd like to go for a shiny gold'ish top (I like the look of the Coolangatta gold) with the quilt popping through (I did a photoshopped pic to get a feel for what it might turn out like) contrasted with a deep reddish body.

One interesting dilemma is what to do with the heel. Due to the longer scale, there's a 'step' where the body extends out to support the neck. I'm thinking I'll round it off and make a feature of it by placing the strap button in the middle...

I'm very open to any advice on the finish or anything else as there's so much to read and research, it's still quite daunting!

I think I'll get started by templating a few headstock shape ideas...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mock build.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	439.9 KB 
ID:	33380   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	474.0 KB 
ID:	33381   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colour mock.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	312.7 KB 
ID:	33382  

Thats a NIIICEEE top on that. Look forward to seeing where this goes!.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

This is going to be an interesting build, with great potential here. Looking great already. What P90 did you choose out of interest?

I went for the Tonerider Vintage 90. Looking for something to carry the warmth of the neck position, with just enough bite to not sound too muddy

Quote Originally Posted by SamSquare View Post
    I went for the Tonerider Vintage 90. Looking for something to carry the warmth of the neck position, with just enough bite to not sound too muddy
    Nice, you couldn't quite tell from the open box. Thanks for clarifying. What put and cap values are you going to run with that pup?

I’m still to work through that but I’ll probably do the same as my previous project as that had the same pickup and sounds great. Can’t remember what the values were, I’ll update this thread once I’ve decided

Ok, time to confess I’m an idiot!

Despite the warnings I managed to sand through part of the veneer. I tried to be careful but I’m no brain surgeon!

I don’t think all is lost though as it’s just around the top edge and to a lesser degree around the pickup hole. I’ve pressed on with the finish and after 2 coats of DT Coolangatta gold it’s otherwise looking stunning.

I’m thinking I have 4 options:
    1. Ignore it. It’s a player after all and life’s full of imperfections
    2. Relic it. The sanded patch happens to be where a lot of friction happens through playing so would be plausible wear
    3. Forget the veneer and just do a flat colour
    4. Attempt a burst. To hide the patch (and maybe put a pickguard in if the pickup patch looks bad too.

Am I dreaming that I can try a passable burst with my limited experience and equipment? I’m thinking it would be some kind of stencil spray can arrangement.

Appreciate your thoughts...

Can you post a photo? That might help with ideas and suggestions. One thing I have learnt doing this is that there is no such thing as perfection, no matter how hard we try to achieve it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out the tuff dog Tele on the second page of the build diaries, that had glue problems at the edges and used the burst solution.

11. Liked by: SamSquare

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast